Published September 13, 2010 - 5:56am
NEW: Discuss this topic in the Google+ community for SEC fans.
Saturday Down South ranks the top athletes in the country for 2011:
1. De-Anthony Thomas is a 5’9”, 160lb athlete from Los Angeles, California. He plays running back, safety, corner and wide receiver. Thomas also returns punts and kicks for his team as well. He is just a raw athlete who is very fast, and he has exceptional change of direction. He’s an east-west runner who really has the moves. Thomas is currently committed to USC.
2. Devon Blackmon is a 6’1”, 180lb do-it-all back from Fontana California. Blackmon plays quarterback, wide receiver and safety for his team. He has great size at 6’1” and really figures to play wide receiver in college. He has tremendous vision to get up field. Blackmon is currently considering USC, UCLA and Oregon among others.
3. Nickolas Brassell is a 6’0”, 175lb athlete from Batesville, Mississippi. Brassell mostly plays wide receiver in high school but can play other positions as well. He is a straight-line runner that only knows one speed – fast. Brassell is currently considering Ole Miss, Mississippi and Tennessee among others.
4. Marqise Lee is a 6’1”, 185lb athlete from Gardena, California. Lee plays corner and safety in high school but projects more of a safety in college. He is long and plays tought. He really has good closing speed to get to the football. Lee is currently considering Arizona State, Cal and Miami (FL) among others.
5. LaDarius Brown is a 6’2”, 185lb athlete from Waxahachie, Texas. Brown plays wide receiver and safety, but he figures to play wide receiver in college. He can block on the perimeter very well and is a deep threat who can really go get the football. Brown is currently considering Texas A&M, Texas and Alabama.
6. Quandre Diggs is a 5’9”, 180lb athlete from Angleton, Texas. Diggs figures to play corner at the next level but currently plays wide receiver as well. He has a very quick first step and get to full speed quicker than his opponents. Diggs also has good tackling ability to bring down the ball carrier. He is currently committed to Texas.
7. Christian French is a 6’6”, 230lb athlete from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He plays tight end and defensive end in high school but projects as a tight end at the next level. French will be a weapon at tight end because he can really catch the football and then show his athleticism after the catch by pulling away from defenders with his speed. He is currently considering Iowa, Iowa State and Oregon among others.
8. Chris Frost is a 6’3”, 210lb athlete from Matthews, North Carolina. Frost plays linebacker and wide receiver, but he projects better as an outside line backer. He is a good tackler when he gets his hands on you. He really has nice speed and can play sideline to sideline at linebacker. Frost is currently Auburn, Michigan and North Carolina among others.
9. Damian Swann is a 6’0”, 175lb athlete from Atlanta, Georgia. Swann will either play corner or safety at the next level. He has good tackling ability and closing speed to get to the football. Swann has great potential and athleticism to play either position. He is currently considering Georgia, Alabama and Florida among others.
10. Colt Lyerla is a 6’5”, 225lb athlete from Hillsboro, Oregon. He is athletic enough to play wide receiver but figures to be a defensive end at the next level. Lyerla plays with a lot of toughness and heart. He brings the wood when he hits you. Lyerla is currently considering Oregon, Oregon State and UCLA among others.