Published September 5, 2010 - 5:58am
NEW: Discuss this topic in the Google+ community for SEC fans.
Saturday Down South ranks the top 10 defensive lineman in the country for 2011:
1. Jadeveon Clowney is a 6’6”, 250lb defensive end from Rock Hill, South Carolina. Did you honestly think anyone else would be number 1 at this point? The young man is a beast and is one of the best athletes in the country. He sheds blocks at the line and can really run you down from behind. He is very strong and once he gets a hand on you – you go down. Clowney is considering Alabama, South Carolina and Clemson.
2. Tim Jernigan is a 6’2”, 275lb defensive tackle from Lake City, Florida. From the tackle position, Jernigan is very powerful coming off of the snap and overpowers kids right now. He has great footwork and quickness and can get in the backfield in a hurry. Jernigan is considering Florida, Alabama, and FSU. Florida looks to have the edge here.
3. Anthony Johnson is a 6’2”, 275lb defensive tackle from New Orleans, Louisiana. Johnson stuffs the run and is very quick coming off the ball. Like Jernigan, Johnson has great power and uses his strength against offensive linemen. Johnson is currently committed to LSU.
4. Ray Drew is a 6’5” 245lb defensive end from Thomasville, Georgia. Drew is a high motor guy and never stops until he hears the whistle. He plays with great energy and does not take a play off. College coaches love that about Drew. He is currently considering Alabama, Georgia, and Florida among others.
5. Jeoffrey Pagan is a 6’4”, 250lb defensive end from Ashville, North Carolina. Pagan is a heck of an athlete and has been recruited by all the major programs in the country. He gets off the ball very quickly and has a high motor. Pagan is criticized on how raw he is as a football player, but he has a high ceiling. Pagan is currently committed to Florida.
6. Michael Bennett is a 6’3”, 275lb defensive tackle from Centerville, Ohio. Bennett attacks you off the ball and has a football mentality with a non-stop attitude. Bennett is very athletic and also plays offensive tackle for his high school team. He has lots of upside. Bennett is currently committed to Ohio State.
7. Greg Townsend is a 6’4”, 240lb defensive tackle from Beverly Hills, California. He is just a mountain of a young man for his age. He shows his athleticism off and actually plays line backer right now and does a pretty dang good job of it. However, for the next level he projects as a defensive tackle, but could be athletic enough to handle either. Townsend is currently considering USC, Cal, and Arizona among others.
8. Stephon Tuitt is a 6’5”, 260lb defensive end from Monroe, Georgia. He has great speed off the edge and has tons of upside and potential at the next level. Like Townsend, Tuitt is also a specimen for his size. He is currently considering Auburn, Florida, and Georgia among others.
9. Steve Miller is a 6’4”, 230lb defensive end from Canton, Ohio. If Miller lays a hand on you, he does not miss that tackle. He wraps up the ball carrier particularly well and has tremendous speed for his size. He is currently committed to Ohio State.
10. Ishaq Williams is a 6’6”, 220lb defensive end from Brooklyn, New York. Williams is very athletic and could still become a linebacker in college, depending on how much weight he can or cannot put on. However, he boasts great speed and can run you down on the other side of the gridiron from where he started. Williams is currently considering Alabama, Maryland and Miami (FL) among others.