Published September 3, 2010 - 5:57amNEW: Follow on facebook -
Saturday Down South ranks the top 10 wide receiver recruits in the country for 2011:
1. Trey Metoyer is 6’2”, 198lbs from Whitehouse, Texas. He is everything you want in a wide receiver. He has good speed and gets past the jams that defensive backs put on at the line of scrimmage. He is not a real speed guy, but he is a good route runner and is a dynamic possession receiver. Metoyer is currently committed to Oklahoma.
2. George Farmer is 6’2”, 192lbs from Gardena, California. Farmer has a great combination of size and speed. He is a great all around-athlete – just give him the ball in space. Consistency is the key for Farmer and if he can stay consistent, he will be a great player at the next level. He is currently looking at Alabama, Florida, and Tennessee from the SEC along with other schools across the country.
3. Sammy Watkins is 6’1”, 180lbs from Fort Myers, Florida. Watkins has great hands and speed to get him open in the secondary. He plays smart on the football field, has good instincts and can really run routes at his size. He also plays safety for his team. Watkins is currently looking at Alabama, Clemson, and Florida.
4. Charone Peake is 6’3”, 200lbs from Roebuck, South Carolina. He has a great frame and long arms to grab the football out of the air. Peake is very quick off the line of scrimmage and has the ability to get off jams at the line well. Peake is currently committed to Clemson.
5. Jarvis Landry is 5’11”, 185lbs from Lutcher, Louisiana. Landry knows how to catch balls in front of his body and really uses his soft hands to his advantage. Landry can really block along the perimeter in the run game, which is a key asset in any wide receiver’s game. He is currently committed to LSU.
6. Kelvin Benjamin is 6’6”, 210lbs from Belle Glade, Florida. Benjamin has unbelievable size to go along with his athleticism. Some might project Benjamin as a tight end in college, but he is athletic enough to play both. Teams are making him a priority. Benjamin is currently looking at Miami (FL) and Florida.
7. DeAnthony Arnett is 6’0”, 170lbs from Saginaw, Michigan. Arnett is a great route runner. After the catch, he is an east-west guy who can reverse the field in a hurry. Arnett is currently committed to Tennessee.
8. Kasen Williams is 6’2”, 200lbs from Sammamish, Washington. Williams has great size and strength. He can go get the ball in the air over the smaller defensive back. Williams also has the ability to break the first tackle and get in to the secondary. He is currently committed to Washington.
9. Marvin Shinn is 6’4”, 177 lbs from Prichard, Alabama. Shinn has great height and can elevate over the smaller corner. He needs to put on some weight with his thin frame, but he has larger hands and can really catch the football. Shinn is currently committed to the home team of Alabama.
10. Victor Blackwell is 6’0”, 186lbs from Santa Ana, California. Blackwell has great speed. Quick screens and a little bit of blocking and Blackwell will take it to the house. He has very raw talent and tremendous upside. Blackwell is currently committed to USC.