Published September 12, 2011 - 12:59pm
NEW: Discuss this topic in the Google+ community for SEC fans.
1. Alabama’s win over Penn State continued the tango that the Crimson Tide and LSU Tigers are having for the number 2 ranking in the AP Top 25. Both teams have some work to do before they get there, but if they can remain undefeated going into their showdown November 5th, we could be watching a BCS semi-final at Bryant-Denney Stadium.
2. Is it possible for the loser of the LSU @ Bama game to go undefeated for the remainder of the season and possibly see an all SEC BCS Championship game?
3. Michael Brockers’ interception was one of the most athletic plays I have ever seen. Keep in mind that he is 6’6”, 306 pounds.
4. Gene Chizik needs to invest in a lottery ticket. He has had the luckiest 12 months in the history of college football coaches. A quick recap: 1) December 2010, Cam Newton is declared ineligible and then he is declared eligible and helps lead Auburn to an SEC Championship and a BCS Championship. 2) Utah State chokes on the Plains as Aubun scores two touchdowns and recovers an onside kick in the last two minutes of the season opener. 3) The Tigers hold off a late rally by Mississippi State and Ryan Smith stopped Bulldog QB Chris Relf at the 1-inch line to secure the victory and make the defending National Champions 2-0.
5. Dan Mullen was visibly upset with the referees at the end of the game Saturday. I doubt if he was inviting them down to Toomer’s Drug after the game for a milkshake.
6. Melvin Ingram had a great game after running 68 yards and scoring a touchdown on a fake punt and then recovering a fumble for a touchdown to clinch the win for the Gamecocks. The Georgia mascot, Hairy Dog, did not have a great day, but the shot of him on ESPN’s telecast after the fake punt pretty much summed up the state of Georgia football.
7. Steve Spurrier has more weapons than the cast of the Discovery Channel reality show “Sons of Guns”. Marcus Latimore, Alshon Jeffery, Ingram, Jadeveon Clowney, and Stephon Gillmore are just a few pieces of that talented team. If he can’t win the SEC with this team, he isn’t going to win it.
8. Georgia is 15-15 in their last 30 games. Mark Richt has to be feeling the pressure and I can’t imagine his approval rating in Athens is very high. I heard one sports talk radio caller yesterday say that he would love to have Richt as a neighbor or a deacon at his church, but he didn’t think he was much of a football coach. That radio show was in Kentucky. What are they saying about him Georgia?
9. Are Kentucky fans really so tired of complaining about their football coaches that they are now complaining about the coaches at other schools? See number 8.
10. Is it just me or does it seem weird to you that Florida is being vastly overlooked this season. Will Muschamp has them 2-0 going into this weekend against undefeated Tennessee. I still think it is weird that there has been more talk about Derek Dooley’s pants this season than the Gators.
11. Speaking of Derek Dooley’s pants, those things are hideous. The only thing that would be worse would be if ADIDAS made him a pair that had a checkerboard pattern like the end zones in Neyland Stadium.
12. Tyler Bray is a great passer but his decision making is still questionable at best. Keep in mind, he is the owner of this Back Tattoo:
13. How many times in the history of the SEC has a game against Vanderbilt during the third week of the season meant so much to a team’s future? If Houston Nutt can’t get it together quickly, Sandra Bullock will be taking resumes for the new head coach at Ole Miss.
14. Danny Trevathan is a tackling machine. He led the SEC last year with 145 tackles and he already has 26 this season and added his first career interception on Saturday. I know people will call me a homer, but can you name me another player in the conference that is more important to his team than Trevathan?
15. I guess the NFL Scouts that said Cam Newton didn’t have good mechanics have moved their focus to Tim Tebow for the time being.
16. It is exciting to see SEC guys doing well in the NFL. Newton was great, AJ Green caught a game winning touchdown pass, Matthew Stafford led the Lions to a win and Randall Cobb might have had the highlight of the year with his 108-yard kickoff return for a touchdown. I know it makes me sound old, but it feels good to watch these young men do so well. It’s like watching your own kid win the spelling bee.
17. This was my first week of not being a fantasy football player in over 12 years. It went well and I am not having any withdrawals yet and it was actually pretty nice to not have to check the score of the Buffalo/Kansas City game every five minutes.
18. Kudos to the fans in Happy Valley this weekend. I watched part of the game and it looked like Beaver Stadium was rocking. Too bad you had no shot to beat Alabama.
19. Sorry I haven’t mentioned Arkansas. They are averaging 51.5 points per game but they haven’t played anybody. I just have to wonder if it is worth the money you spent to get those teams to come to town for glorified practices. You have another one this weekend with Troy. I guess we will see how much these games pay off when you face off with the Crimson Tide in 2 weeks.
20. There should be some great games this week. If your aren’t going to any games, orders some wings, find a comfy chair and use this schedule to catch the best action: Ole Miss @ Vandy – 12:21 on ESPN3.com, Tennessee @ Florida – 3:30 on CBS, Louisville @ Kentucky – 7:00 on ESPNU. Thursday night, we have LSU @ Miss. St, 8:00 on ESPN.