Published April 12, 2012 - 5:11pm
NEW: Discuss this topic in the Google+ community for SEC fans.
As we made the case in the 2012 Gators schedule, the top five SEC schedules are in a league of their own. The difficulty level with these schedules is very high. The Auburn Tigers come into 2012 looking to rebound after a BCS Champioship hangover. Losing offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn and stud running back Michael Dyer doesn’t help, but the Tigers still have some nice talent on the roster. They’ll need it as they have the third toughest schedule in the SEC.
2012 Auburn Tigers Schedule
- Sep 01 – Clemson Tigers (neutral site – Georgia Dome)
- Sep 08 – at Mississippi State Bulldogs
- Sep 15 – ULM Warhawks
- Sep 22 – LSU Tigers
- Sep 29 – BYE
- Oct 06 – Arkansas Razorbacks
- Oct 13 – at Ole Miss Rebels
- Oct 20 – at Vanderbilt Commodores
- Oct 27 – Texas A&M Aggies
- Nov 03 – New Mexico State Aggies
- Nov 10 – Georgia Bulldogs
- Nov 17 – Alabama A&M Bulldogs
- Nov 24 – at Alabama Crimson Tide
- 7 Home Games
- 4 Road Games
- 1 Neutral Site Game
- 1 legit non-conference game (Clemson)
- 3 Cupcakes (ULM, New Mexico Staet, Alabama A&M)
- 5 top 25 opponents (#2 Alabama, #3 LSU, #5 Georgia, #11 Arkansas, #23 Clemson) using ESPN’s early top 25 estimate
- 5 top 25 opponents (#1 LSU, #4 Arkansas, #5 Alabama, #9 Georgia, #14 Clemson) using an early SI poll
- SEC West: 3rd
- SEC: 3rd
What a brutal schedule. Not only does Auburn have to play the big three from the SEC West, but they also get Georgia from the East, and Clemson from the ACC. Moreover, the three “easier” SEC games against Miss St, Vanderbilt and Ole Miss are all on the road.
I think Auburn has taken the baton from LSU in 2011 for having the toughest September schedule in the conference.
I think it is safe to say that it will be exceptionally difficult for Auburn to win the SEC West with this schedule and the competition in the division. But, hey, you never know what the War Eagle is capable of. That’s why they play the game…
Stay tuned as we break down each team’s schedule counting up to the toughest schedule. If you want a sneak peak at the full list, you’ll have to add SDS to your “Circles” on Google Plus here then view the recent posts.