As we await SEC bowl games, recruiting season – the game within the game – is in full swing, and it’s only getting started. And the announcing on TV will be ridiculous just like the last few years, I’m sure. Some big-time prospects are committed already, but there are several uncommitted players who should land in the SEC on National Signing Day.
Right now, according to 247Sports’ composite rankings, the SEC has five of the top 10 classes and 10 of the top 30 classes in the country.
Here are the top remaining uncommitted blue chippers, and the SEC should land seven of the top nine:
#1 Robert Nkemdiche, DL
- Nkemdiche originally committed to Clemson.
- He’s likely down to three SEC teams in Ole Miss, Alabama and LSU.
- His brother plays for Ole Miss, and the Rebels are the team to beat for his services.
- Can you imagine the #1 overall prospect landing at Ole Miss in the SEC West? It’s going to happen.
#2 Montravius Adams, DT
- The Georgia native has long-since thought to be a Clemson-Georgia battle.
- Florida has now entered the picture and has momentum with Adams, and Auburn has always recruited him.
- Adams will come down to Clemson, Georgia and Florida for his signature.
- There are not many instant-impact defensive tackles as freshmen, but Adams could be just that.
#4 Laremy Tunsil, OT
- Tunsil lives in Florida’s back yard, but like most Lake City players, he looks elsewhere to play.
- Tunsil is likely down to Georgia and Alabama, and the Tide are the favorite right now.
- He’s also scheduled to make visits to Ole Miss and Florida State, but Tunsil should land in the SEC.
#8 Tony Conner, S
- The Mississippi native will visit five schools in January – Ole Miss, Alabama, Mississippi State, Georgia and LSU.
- However, Ole Miss remains the team to beat, and adding Connor and Nkemdiche would be an impressive haul.
#10 Reuben Foster, LB
- Foster had been committed to Auburn, but when Gus Malzahn did not retain Trooper Taylor, Foster de-committed.
- Foster is originally from Georgia, and the Bulldogs could be the team to beat down the stretch.
- Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, Miami and South Carolina are all mentioned, but it would surprise no one if he stuck with Auburn in the end.
#13 Matthew Thomas, OLB
- Thomas has thought to be a Miami-Florida State battle only.
- Two SEC teams are entering the picture in Georgia and Alabama.
- Thomas could be one of two prospects on this list to not end up in the SEC. It will likely be Florida State in the end.
#17 Alex Collins, RB
- Much like Thomas, Collins was thought to be a Florida State-Miami battle, especially being from South Florida.
- Collins’ highlight tape will remind you of Trent Richardson and Todd Gurley.
- However, Florida surprisingly has the most momentum with Collins heading down the stretch. This could be a Florida State-Florida battle for Collins on National Signing Day.
#23 Robert Foster, WR
- The Pennsylvania native will be tough to get out of Pitt’s grasp.
- There’s only one team in the SEC vying for his services, and it’s Nick Saban and Alabama.
- However, Pitt is the favorite and should land him.
#25 Vonn Bell, DB
- The Georgia native has a pair of SEC schools and Ohio State in the mix.
- Bell is down to Tennessee and Alabama in the SEC.
- However, Alabama is leading right now, with Tennessee a close second.
- This could be Butch Jones’ first five-star prospect at Tennessee.