SDS is continually counting down the top 25 players in the SEC for 2013, and we’re not stopping until we get to No. 1. I know you’ll agree with every single one…
No. 4 AJ McCarron, QB, Alabama (SR)
2012 stats: 211 of 314 for 2,933 yards, 30 TDs, 3 INTs
2013 projected: 225 of 340 for 3,100 yards, 34 TDs, 4 INTs
Why he’s worthy: Competitor. Game manager. Big game quarterback. All of these words can be used to describe Alabama’s quarterback AJ McCarron. But the one he wants to be remembered for the most? Winner.
Related: AJ McCarron is the anti-Manziel
McCarron has accomplished just about everything in two seasons as the Tide’s full-time starter. He’s won back-to-back BCS National Championships, and he looks to become the first quarterback in FBS history to win three as a starter.
McCarron has delivered time and time again on college football’s biggest stage. Just last season, he picked apart the Irish’s defense, going 20 of 28 for 264 yards and four touchdowns.
Former Alabama quarterbacks Kenny Stabler, Joe Namath and Pat Trammel were three of the best in Tide history. But McCarron will become the best, because the pressure of leading the Tide during their dynasty years in the golden age of the SEC – and maybe college football – is nothing the other three had to deal with.
We’ll never know how good McCarron truly is. After all, he arguably has the most talent around him of any quarterback in the country. He’s thrown for 5,956 yards and 49 touchdowns in two full years as a starter, and he’s gunning for an unprecedented third straight championship.
1. Biggest freak in college football
2. Johnny what’s his name?
3. Best running back in college football
4. The biggest winner in the rankings
5. College football’s No. 2 overall running back
6. A record-setting QB
7. The Tide’s defensive glue
8. The best offensive tackle in college football?
9. Alabama’s O-line anchor
10. Texas A&M’s versatile left tackle
11. The biggest deep threat in the country?
12. Florida’s dancing defender
13. One LB who should explode in 2013
14. Jarvis Jones who?
15. The SEC East’s top receiver
16. Florida’s Honey Badger
17. A receiver who doesn’t drop passes…ever
18. LSU’s freak
19. A Rebel who knows he’s good
20. Funny name; not a funny game
21. Arkansas’ O-line anchor
22. A receiving freak
23. An underrated Tennessee head smasher
24. LSU’s defensive quarterback
25. An unheralded Hog
Photo Credit: Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports