SDS is continually counting down the top 25 players in the SEC for 2013, and we’re not stopping until we get to No. 1. I know you’ll agree with every single one…
No. 18 – Anthony ‘The Freak’ Johnson, DT, LSU (JR)
2012 stats: 30 tackles, 10 TFL, 3 sacks, 2 QBH
2013 Projected stats: 45 tackles, 15 TFL, 5 sacks
Why he’s worthy: Once labeled the second coming of former star Glenn Dorsey, LSU or the SEC haven’t seen the type of impact that Anthony Johnson can have on defense. His five-star hyped entry hasn’t played out the way many anticipated yet, but he has all the tools in the shed to become an A-list player and first-round draft pick.
Johnson returns as the Tigers’ most seasoned player on a line that loses four starters. Tackles Benne Logan and Josh Downs are now gone, and Johnson emerges to carry the torch for the NFL-caliber linemen the Tigers always possess.
Johnson is 6-3, 295 pounds – 40 pounds lighter than his freshman year – of raw fury who runs a blazing 4.7 40. That’s why he’s nicknamed The Freak, and he’s coming off his best spring yet, one that saw him make John Chavis’ lip quiver as he grew into an every-down tackle.
I’m just salivating thinking about how much potential Johnson packs into this massive frame. Hope we see his best in 2013.
1. Biggest freak in college football
2. Johnny what’s his name?
3. Best running back in college football
4. The biggest winner in the rankings
5. College football’s No. 2 overall running back
6. A record-setting QB
7. The Tide’s defensive glue
8. The best offensive tackle in college football?
9. Alabama’s O-line anchor
10. Texas A&M’s versatile left tackle
11. The biggest deep threat in the country?
12. Florida’s dancing defender
13. One LB who should explode in 2013
14. Jarvis Jones who?
15. The SEC East’s top receiver
16. Florida’s Honey Badger
17. A receiver who doesn’t drop passes…ever
18. LSU’s freak
19. A Rebel who knows he’s good
20. Funny name; not a funny game
21. Arkansas’ O-line anchor
22. A receiving freak
23. An underrated Tennessee head smasher
24. LSU’s defensive quarterback
25. An unheralded Hog
Photo Credit: Brett Davis-US PRESSWIRE