Published July 26, 2013 - 8:45amNEW: Follow on facebook -
SDS is continually counting down the top 25 players in the SEC for 2013, and we’re not stopping until we get to No. 1. I know you’ll agree with every single one…
No. 7: CJ Mosley, LB, Alabama (SR)
2012 stats: 107 tackles, 8 TFL, 4 sacks, 2 INTs
2013 projected: 110 tackles, 10 TFL, 5 sacks, 3 INTs
Why he’s worthy: You want to talk about the glue that holds the Tide’s top defense together? Try a returning senior who could have easily entered the NFL Draft this past spring in CJ Mosley. Despite most scouts and talking heads criticizing Mosley for staying at Alabama, he returned for unfinished business and to lead the Tide to a possible three-peat.
The consensus first-team All-American has racked up 211 tackles, 14 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks in three seasons as Nick Saban’s weak-side linebacker and defensive leader. He gobbles up tacklers like fat kids do cakes.
But the one aspect that continues to stand out about his game is his dominant pass coverage. Mosley has picked off five career passes and returned three of them for touchdowns.
Mosley won the BCS National Championship Game MVP for his dominant effort against Notre Dame, when he ripped the pedestal right out from underneath the ‘best linebacker on the field’ in Manti Te’o. He led the Tide in tackles and suplexed them to another championship.
So, Mosley returns to lead the Tide in hopes of wearing some more bling on his finger.
1. Biggest freak in college football
2. Johnny what’s his name?
3. Best running back in college football
4. The biggest winner in the rankings
5. College football’s No. 2 overall running back
6. A record-setting QB
7. The Tide’s defensive glue
8. The best offensive tackle in college football?
9. Alabama’s O-line anchor
10. Texas A&M’s versatile left tackle
11. The biggest deep threat in the country?
12. Florida’s dancing defender
13. One LB who should explode in 2013
14. Jarvis Jones who?
15. The SEC East’s top receiver
16. Florida’s Honey Badger
17. A receiver who doesn’t drop passes…ever
18. LSU’s freak
19. A Rebel who knows he’s good
20. Funny name; not a funny game
21. Arkansas’ O-line anchor
22. A receiving freak
23. An underrated Tennessee head smasher
24. LSU’s defensive quarterback
25. An unheralded Hog
Photo Credit: Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports