Published August 1, 2013 - 2:30pmNEW: Follow on facebook -
SDS is continually counting down the top 25 players in the SEC for 2013, and we’re not stopping until we get to No. 1. I know you’ll agree with every single one…
No. 2 Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M (SO)
2012 stats: 295 of 434 for 3,706 yards (68%), 26 TDs and nine INT; 201 carries for 1,410 yards and 21 TDs
Why he’s worthy: No matter whether you love him or you hate him – Johnny Manziel is a baller on the field. His electrifying, slippery and record-setting freshman campaign has turned he and his families’ lives on their head. He’s praised; he’s mocked; he’s ridiculed. He’s Johnny Football.
I’m not suggesting that his ridiculous freshman numbers will improve, because I’m not sure if they can. Topping 5,100 yards again won’t be equaled, and if it does, look out.
If the Aggies go 9-3, Manziel will be blamed no matter how good he is on the field, because fans will point to his distractions off of it. But that’s the reality of the position he’s in as college football’s most polarizing figure.
Manziel threw for more than 250 yards in 10 games and rushed for more than 100 in seven. That’s stupid. Here’s a refresher on the list of accolades and accomplishments for 2012.
- Heisman Trophy
- Davey O’Brien Award
- Manning Award
- Chic Harley Award
- AP Player of the Year award
- Sporting News Player of the Year
- Consensus All-American
- SEC Offensive Player of the Year
- SEC Freshman of the Year
- 2013 Cotton Bowl MVP
I can envision a scenario playing out where Manziel becomes a better player and quarterback but lacks the monster numbers. Texas A&M’s offense won’t skip a beat even with the loss of two O-linemen and two receivers, because Manziel has more talent around him than last season. Does that scare anyone? It should.
While Johnny is set to have another big year, he may not be the most talented player in the SEC for 2013. That belongs to another freak in Columbia, South Carolina.
So, just sit back, relax and let Johnny Rock Star dominate his encore.
1. Biggest freak in college football
2. Johnny what’s his name?
3. Best running back in college football
4. The biggest winner in the rankings
5. College football’s No. 2 overall running back
6. A record-setting QB
7. The Tide’s defensive glue
8. The best offensive tackle in college football?
9. Alabama’s O-line anchor
10. Texas A&M’s versatile left tackle
11. The biggest deep threat in the country?
12. Florida’s dancing defender
13. One LB who should explode in 2013
14. Jarvis Jones who?
15. The SEC East’s top receiver
16. Florida’s Honey Badger
17. A receiver who doesn’t drop passes…ever
18. LSU’s freak
19. A Rebel who knows he’s good
20. Funny name; not a funny game
21. Arkansas’ O-line anchor
22. A receiving freak
23. An underrated Tennessee head smasher
24. LSU’s defensive quarterback
25. An unheralded Hog
Photo Credit: Marvin Gentry-USA TODAY Sports