SDS is continually counting down the top 25 players in the SEC for 2013, and we’re not stopping until we get to No. 1. I know you’ll agree with every single one…
No. 14: Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia (SO)
2012 stats: 31 tackles, 8 TFL, 5 sacks
2013 Projected stats: 60 tackles, 18 TFL, 10 sacks
Why he’s worthy: Can you tell I’m high on Georgia outside linebacker Jordan Jenkins? Jarvis Jones’ replacement could very well achieve heights that even Jones never achieved. Jenkins has All-SEC potential as a rising sophomore, and he’ll arrive on the biggest stage for the Dawgs in 2013 at a massive position of need.
Had Jones not been an All-American last year, Jenkins would have been an every-down player as a true freshman. Jenkins has all the skills to be the next elite young linebacker to carry the SEC torch into 2014 and beyond.
His 6-3, 250-pound frame is dominated by pure athleticism. Aside from lone returning secondary starter Damian Swann, Jenkins is the defense’s most important player.
Todd Grantham’s 3-4 defense relies so heavily on the rush linebacker, and the young squad must have Jenkins be a monster in ’13. Just how high will Jenkins rise in the SEC? He could become the conference’s best linebacker, and that’s taking nothing away from CJ Mosley and company.
With limited playing time, Jenkins registered eight tackles for loss and five sacks. That’s a great year for some players, much less a rising star who had saw limited time.
So, you’ve never heard of Jordan Jenkins? I’m not worried I’m ranking him too high; I’m worried he’s ranked too low.
1. Biggest freak in college football
2. Johnny what’s his name?
3. Best running back in college football
4. The biggest winner in the rankings
5. College football’s No. 2 overall running back
6. A record-setting QB
7. The Tide’s defensive glue
8. The best offensive tackle in college football?
9. Alabama’s O-line anchor
10. Texas A&M’s versatile left tackle
11. The biggest deep threat in the country?
12. Florida’s dancing defender
13. One LB who should explode in 2013
14. Jarvis Jones who?
15. The SEC East’s top receiver
16. Florida’s Honey Badger
17. A receiver who doesn’t drop passes…ever
18. LSU’s freak
19. A Rebel who knows he’s good
20. Funny name; not a funny game
21. Arkansas’ O-line anchor
22. A receiving freak
23. An underrated Tennessee head smasher
24. LSU’s defensive quarterback
25. An unheralded Hog
Photo Credit: Dale Zanine-US PRESSWIRE