SDS is continually counting down the top 25 players in the SEC for 2013, and we’re not stopping until we get to No. 1. I know you’ll agree with every single one…
No. 16: Loucheiz Purifoy, CB/WR, Florida (JR)
2012 stats: 51 tackles, 3 FF, 5 PD, 2 blocked kicks,
2013 Projected stats: 60 tackles, 3 INTs
Why he’s worthy: Not only does Loucheiz Purifoy have one of the best names in college football, but his game is even better. Florida’s Honey Badger made play after play last year on defense and special teams, including blocking two kicks and forcing three fumbles on special teams.
Last September, Purifoy looked suspect against Bowling Green. He missed a few tackles in one-on-one situations, as Will Muschamp loves to leave his bigger corners on island coverage. But the light flipped on sometime thereafter, and he took his game to another level.
Purifoy’s 6-1, 190-pound frame is perfect for Muschamp-sized corners, but is he even the best pure cover corner on his team? What Purifoy brings to the table isn’t all about lockdown coverage. He’s a raw explosive athlete who’s a physical and fearless football player. He plays with an aggression and edge that fuels his teammates. He’ll play corner, return kicks and even play wide receiver this season, and he’ll make an impact at all three.
Purifoy, combined with Marcus Roberson, may be the best corner tandem in college football, along with Florida having one of the top defensive backfields in the country.
Purifoy’s raw talents and athleticism could land him a spot as a first-round draft pick come next spring.
1. Biggest freak in college football
2. Johnny what’s his name?
3. Best running back in college football
4. The biggest winner in the rankings
5. College football’s No. 2 overall running back
6. A record-setting QB
7. The Tide’s defensive glue
8. The best offensive tackle in college football?
9. Alabama’s O-line anchor
10. Texas A&M’s versatile left tackle
11. The biggest deep threat in the country?
12. Florida’s dancing defender
13. One LB who should explode in 2013
14. Jarvis Jones who?
15. The SEC East’s top receiver
16. Florida’s Honey Badger
17. A receiver who doesn’t drop passes…ever
18. LSU’s freak
19. A Rebel who knows he’s good
20. Funny name; not a funny game
21. Arkansas’ O-line anchor
22. A receiving freak
23. An underrated Tennessee head smasher
24. LSU’s defensive quarterback
25. An unheralded Hog
Photo Credit: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports