SDS is continually counting down the top 25 players in the SEC for 2013, and we’re not stopping until we get to No. 1. I know you’ll agree with every single one…
No. 17 – Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M (SO)
2012 stats: 82 catches for 1,105 yards and 5 TDs
2013 Projected stats: 90 catches for 1,215 yards and 10 TDs
Why he’s worthy: Mike Evans’ record-setting freshman season was something to behold. He was nothing more than just a raw athlete making plays.
The 6-5 former basketball standout owns a height advantage over any defensive back he’ll be matched up with in an offense that’s conducive for receivers putting up big numbers. Now, Ryan Swope, Thomas Johnson and Uzoma Nwachukwu are all gone, and Evans’ 82 catches figures to make a bigger than expected as he solidifies himself as Johnny Manziel’s go-to receiver.
The one aspect of Evans’ game that should improve the most is in the red zone. Despite being 6-5, he only caught five touchdowns last year. With such a massive frame leveraged against smaller corners, expect Johnny Manziel and Kevin Sumlin to take more advantage of Evans’ biggest asset closer to the goal line.
Evans may not have electric speed, but he doesn’t drop passes, ever. In fact, if anything is thrown in a 10’ radius of Evans, he’ll come down with it.
Evans is due for a big-time sophomore season in College Station, and he should post the best numbers of any receiver in the SEC.
1. Biggest freak in college football
2. Johnny what’s his name?
3. Best running back in college football
4. The biggest winner in the rankings
5. College football’s No. 2 overall running back
6. A record-setting QB
7. The Tide’s defensive glue
8. The best offensive tackle in college football?
9. Alabama’s O-line anchor
10. Texas A&M’s versatile left tackle
11. The biggest deep threat in the country?
12. Florida’s dancing defender
13. One LB who should explode in 2013
14. Jarvis Jones who?
15. The SEC East’s top receiver
16. Florida’s Honey Badger
17. A receiver who doesn’t drop passes…ever
18. LSU’s freak
19. A Rebel who knows he’s good
20. Funny name; not a funny game
21. Arkansas’ O-line anchor
22. A receiving freak
23. An underrated Tennessee head smasher
24. LSU’s defensive quarterback
25. An unheralded Hog
Photo Credit: Brett Davis-US PRESSWIRE