NFL.com senior analyst and former VP of player personnel for the Dallas Cowboys, Gil Brandt, has 14 SEC players in his mock draft.
Here is how SEC players shake out in the first round:
1. Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M (Kansas City Chiefs)
4. Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama (Philadelphia Eagles)
5. Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama (Detroit Lions)
6. Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M (Cleveland Browns)
8. Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia (Buffalo Bills)
9. Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia (New York Jets)
13. DJ Fluker, OT, Alabama (Tampa Bay Bucs)
16. Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama (St. Louis Rams)
17. Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri (Pittsburgh Steelers)
21. Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU (Cincinnati Bengals)
23. Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida (Minnesota Vikings)
28. Johnthan Banks, DB, Miss State (Denver Broncos)
29. Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU (Baltimore Ravens)
31. John Jenkins, DT, Georgia (New England Patriots)
A few observations:
- TAMU’s Jockel is the top overall pick, going to the Chiefs. I love the pick, and Joeckel has tremendous upside.
- Alec Ogletree is projected over Jarvis Jones. Ogletree is a stud, and he would justify the pick over time. But it’s hard to pass up Jones if he’s available at #8.
- Brandt has 12 defensive linemen projected in the first round. You wonder why there are so many SEC players picked year after year? It starts in the trenches.
- A couple SEC players who could get first-round looks are Cordarrelle Patterson, Tyler Wilson, Jesse Williams, Dallas Thomas and Barrett Jones.
- You wonder why the Georgia-Alabama game was great? There were seven first round projections on the field.
Photo Credit: Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports