Published December 16, 2013 - 2:30pmNEW: Follow on facebook -
Let’s get caught up on the latest coaching news and rumors in mid December:
- Nick Saban agreed to an extension with Alabama even before Texas’ Mack Brown stepped down. His name is still being thrown around for the job, but he’s publicly said Alabama is where he wants to end his career.
- OC Doug Nussmeier was thought to be in the running to get the Washington job, but Boise’s Chris Peterson got it.
- DC Kirby Smart could factor into the Texas domino affect around the country. A couple coaching vacancies could come open, giving Smart his opportunity to take a big-time job. Let’s see what happens.
- DL coach Charlie Partridge has reportedly accepted the head coaching position at FAU. Bret Bielema needed to keep his staff intact for 2014, but Partridge departs for the head job at FAU. The deal is reportedly worth $2.76 million.
- Gus Malzahn agreed to an extension and raise with Auburn before the SEC Championship, but like Saban, his name is still hot on the Texas big board. It’s unlikely Malzahn would want to move to his fourth program in as many years.
- Will Muschamp hasn’t publicly hired a new offensive coordinator or offensive line coach. The primary candidates for the OC position are USC’s Clay Helton, Nebraska’s Tim Beck and Arizona State’s Mike Norvell. Norvell would be a homerun hire for Muschamp and the Gators.
- Florida DC DJ Durkin has been mentioned as a possible replacement for Dave Clawson at Bowling Green. He’s said to be one of five candidates.
- Les Miles is said to be one of four SEC head coaches on Texas’ big board. Obviously, Miles has won a national championship at LSU and coached in the Big 12 at Oklahoma State. His daughter is on the swim team at Texas, too.
- Kevin Sumlin’s new deal is worth $5 million per year, thanks to USC making a serious push for Sumlin several weeks ago.
- James Franklin’s name has continued to be mentioned with Texas. Should the Horns miss on a few primary targets, Franklin could land the gig. Also, like Bama’s Kirby Smart, Franklin could be a part of the domino effect the Texas job creates.