Published March 13, 2013 - 11:10am
NEW: Discuss this topic in the Google+ community for SEC fans.
Four SEC East teams have already started spring practice, and two – Georgia and South Carolina – are currently on spring break and will resume practice next week.
Here are the updates for each team:
- Started Saturday, March 2nd
- Bulldogs are currently on spring break and will return to practice next week.
- Emphasis so far has been put on the defensive line, namely backup defensive end Ray Drew, who was a heralded recruit but has failed to make an impact in two years. Drew must emerge opposite of Garrison Smith at DE.
- An early breakout player has arrived in the form of OLB James DeLoach. DeLoach’s buzz started towards the end of last season, and he’s maturing both physically and mentally, helping prompt a breakout spring. DeLoach came to Georgia as a three-star DE, but he’s running with the first team at strongside linebacker.
- Mark Richt said Todd Gurley looks quicker and has more endurance than the end of last season. Does that scare anyone?
- Aaron Murray is working with QB coach George Whitfield in Oklahoma over spring break.
- Started Tuesday, March 5th
- Gamecocks are currently on spring break and will resume next week.
- Emphasis this spring is all about finding linebackers. The Gamecocks lost two starters and two backups, and that doesn’t even include the starter lost to the coveted spur position either.
- Jadeveon Clowney addressed the media for the first time recently, and he explained he doesn’t get caught up in all the hype. He just goes to class and works out, and he expressed he never even thought of sitting out the 2013 season.
- Defensive Coordinator Lorenzo Ward has put an emphasis on getting Clowney to play 100 percent all the time.
- Perhaps you missed South Carolina’s spring prospectus cover?
- Started Saturday, March 9th
- Loudspeakers are a big part of Tennessee’s practice. The Butch Jones era opened up with the disco hit “Car Wash” by Rose Royce.
- Jones is all about using the mic during practice and calling out players and telling them to get to the next station. He’s emphasized energy all winter and spring.
- Top competition is QBs Justin Worley and Nathan Peterman.
- Freshman WR Paul Harris has been a focal point of Butch Jones and wide receivers coach Zach Azzanni. Both know they need Harris to step up in the fall.
- JUCO CB Riyahd Jones has been the most impressive defender up to this point.
- Started Tuesday, March 12th
- Gary Pinkel said he wasn’t surprised by anything the SEC had to offer in his first season.
- Pinkel also sounds open to a QB change and is prepared for someone other than James Franklin to emerge as the starting QB – but he’s not looking to make a decision until a week or two before opening week.
- RB Henry Josey was back on the practice after his 16-month absence after his horrible knee injury.
- For the first time in the Pinkel era, the players listened to music when as they warmed up.
Haven’t started yet
- Start Friday, March 15th
- Spring game scheduled for April 13th
- Start Wednesday, March 19th
Photo Credit: Dak Dillon-USA TODAY Sports