Published January 15, 2013 - 11:50am
NEW: Discuss this topic in the Google+ community for SEC fans.
The unanimous top overall blue chip recruit in the country is defensive end Robert Nkemdiche. Nkemdiche is from Grayson, Georgia, and he will land in the SEC somewhere on National Signing Day on February 6th.
Nkemdiche isn’t Jadeveon Clowney, and he may not posses the freakish athletic attributes as Clowney does, but he’s a boss at 6-5, 285 pounds. He dominates little kids in high school at both defensive line and running back (yes, at running back!). Check out the highlights.
He committed to Clemson early on in the process, but his mother felt he was pressured into his Clemson commitment. She never became comfortable with Robert’s decision, and he decommitted from the Tigers.
Nkemdiche’s brother Denzel plays for the Ole Miss Rebels, and he was a star as a redshirt freshman linebacker in 2012, leading the team with 13.5 tackles for loss and four forced fumbles. And since his little brother decommitted from Clemson, the Rebels have been the favorite, because of the opportunity to play with his brother.
His mother would obviously love that, via the AJC.
“Every mother would want that. I don’t want a case where they have games in two different states, and I will be running around like a rooster, or not go to one (game). Every parent would really want that. It’s my wish for it to happen, but I’m not going to put pressure on anybody. If it happens, great. If it doesn’t, OK. But I would really love for them to play together, as well as have the power of two — where two people come together and play as one. That is what I’m looking to see, where Denzel and Robert will come together and play a good game and good defense. But I’m not putting pressure on any one of them.”
But there are also two other players in the game, too, in LSU and Florida.
It was reported today that Nkemdiche will visit Florida this Saturday and LSU at a later time. But LSU also feels that Nkemdiche will visit them this weekend, too. So, things should shake out soon enough. He would play immediately at any of the three SEC schools.
Here’s a breakdown by team on draw for the three programs:
- His brother plays for the Rebels, and his mother wants this to happen.
- He has a great relationship with Hugh Freeze.
- His high school teammate David Kamara is looking hard at LSU and will take an official visit this weekend. He could ultimately sign at LSU, too.
- Kamara and Nkemdiche were committed together at Clemson early in the process.
- Current Florida blue chip corner commit Vernon Hargreaves III was in Nkemdiche’s ear during the Under Armour All-American practice week and game. Six other Florida commits played in the game, too, and they were all over Nkemdiche throughout.