Hugh Freeze held his pre-spring press conference yesterday, and he updated several notes and statuses within the team. You can read his full transcript here.
Most notably, Freeze suspended Denzel Nkemdiche for spring practice and for the first game of the season against Boise State. Nkemdiche was charged with disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct and failure to comply with a police officer last month.
Serderius Bryant was also arrested the day before Nkemdiche for public drunkenness and disturbing the peace, but he practiced Tuesday. Freeze said he hasn’t ruled out a suspension for Bryant; both players have to-do lists in order to get back into good graces with the team and staff.
Freshman Bobby Hill was arrested for sexual battery in January, and he’s no longer on the team or enrolled in school.
In an unexpected move, defensive end Channing Ward will play tight end this spring, and Freeze is hopeful his offseason DUI will be cleared. That’s a big position of need for the Rebels, and Ward will try and help create some depth.
Other news and notes:
- Kailo Moore has been moved from running back to cornerback this spring.
- Cornerbacks Quintavius Bryant and Quadarias Mireles have both moved to slot receiver.
- Derrick Jones has a hip flexor and will probably miss a week and return to practice.
- Woody Hamilton broke his foot and needs surgery. It will be about a 10-week recovery time.
- CJ Johnson has a slight hamstring strain, and his return to practice isn’t immediately known.
- Christian Morris will be out for spring practice after he tore his Achilles in winter workouts.
- Senquez Golson has a hamstring injury and should return after spring break.
- Aaron Morris won’t participate this spring while fully recovering from ACL surgery.
- Austin Golson will be limited recovering from shoulder surgery but should also return after spring break.
Photo Credit: Spruce Derden-USA TODAY Sports