Spring football is in the air, and Mark Richt can’t wait to get it all underway with new defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt.
Richt, Jeremy Pruitt and Mike Bobo all met with the media today, and you can read Richt’s full transcript here. You can watch Pruitt’s full interview here, along with Bobo’s here. Below are updates from Richt, Bobo and Pruitt.
- Richt said Todd Gurley is still bothered by his ankle injury and hasn’t been 100 percent going through offseason workouts. He isn’t sure how ready Gurley will be this spring, and he likely won’t be at full speed. “My guess is that unless he’s completely healed by March 18, there will be some modification to what he’s doing.”
- Richt said the Bulldogs are going to switch up the defensive practice structure after talking with Pruitt.
- Richt said running back JJ Green is moving to cornerback, and Pruitt remembered him from his high school days. Green will add depth at corner.
- Bobo said fullback Quayvon Hicks is moving to tight end this spring, and the long-term plan is to move him into an H-back role.
- Pruitt said linebackers James DeLoach and Josh Dawson are both moving to defensive end at their request.
- Bobo said John Theus will get first dibs at the vacant left tackle position, with Kolton Houston at right tackle and David Andrews at center. Mark Beard will work at left guard.
- Receiver Malcolm Mitchell will run routes this spring, but there likely won’t be competing in any contact drills.
- Tight end Jay Rome is out at for the start of spring with a foot injury.
- Running back Keith Marshall and receiver Justin Scott-Wesley are both out this spring recovering from knee injuries.
- Defensive tackle DeAndre Johnson is medically disqualified because of a back injury.
Photo Credit: Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports