What’s the best college sports towns in America?
Answers.com ranked the 10 best in the country, and four SEC towns made the top 10:
1. Madison, Wisconsin (Wisconsin Badgers)
2. Knoxville, Tennessee (Tennessee Volunteers)
3. Gainesville, Florida (Florida Gators)
4. Los Angeles, California (USC Trojans and UCLA Bruins)
5. Iowa City, Iowa (Iowa Hawkeyes)
6. Tuscaloosa, Alabama (Alabama Crimson Tide)
7. Columbia, Missouri (Missouri Tigers)
8. Austin, Texas (Texas Longhorns)
9. State College, Pennsylvania (Penn State Nittany Lions)
10. Durham, North Carolina (Duke Blue Devils)
Here are a few blips about each town, according to the website:
Knoxville, TN: “Tennessee fans are loyal, passionate and support UT football through thick and thin. Fans in Knoxville are extremely educated when it comes to college sports.”
Gainesville, FL: “The University of Florida boasts a championship caliber football and basketball program. Florida is arguably the best multi-major sport school in the country, with two national titles in each sports since 2006.”
Tuscaloosa, AL: “To get the true feel for what a Southern college campus is like, head down to Tuscaloosa. Alabama football’s game day experience is one of the best in the country.”
Columbia, MO: “There isn’t much else to do in the middle of Missouri besides drink and cheer on the Missouri Tigers. And they do in Columbia. The bar scene near campus is awesome and the game day atmosphere for Tiger basketball and football games is something to see.”
If your favorite team’s college town was left off, you obviously hate the rankings. Several SEC schools are worthy of consideration, like Baton Rouge (LSU), College Station (Texas A&M), Athens (Georgia) and Fayetteville (Arkansas), among others. Possibly the most underrated sports town in the SEC is Starkville (Mississippi State).
Which towns would you add?
Photo Credit: Denny Medley-USA TODAY Sports