The coaching carousel is in full swing, and multiple SEC coaches have been linked to top jobs around the country, and even in the NFL.
Let’s get you caught up:
RELATED: Current SEC head coaching salaries
- Nick Saban agreed to an extension and raise at Alabama, although the official contract has not been made public. Several are saying it’s in the $7 million range.
- Saban may retain all of his coaching staff, unlike last season. Perhaps the only staff member who could get a head-coaching job would be Kirby Smart, but it will take a serious domino affect for that to happen. He’s not going to leave for just any head job; he doesn’t have to.
- Defensive line coach Charlie Partridge accepted the FAU head coaching position, and Bret Bielema has said he won’t rush his replacement. Partridge wasn’t only a great position coach, but he was a dynamic recruiter. It will be interesting to see who Bielema taps as his replacement.
- Gus Malzahn’s name has been linked to Texas and, now, the Cleveland Browns, although he signed an extension and received a raise before the SEC Championship Game. The Texas talk has died down, and he won’t be going to Austin. The Browns talk is new, but that organization is a dumpster fire, and I would not anticipate Malzahn even thinking twice about taking it. I just don’t see him going to the NFL into that organization now. Could he jump to the NFL in a few years? Sure, I could see that.
- Florida fired OC Brent Pease and OL Tim Davis immediately following the season.
- Will Muschamp hired Duke OC Kurt Roper, who is known as a multiple-schemed offensive coordinator and a quarterback guru/developer. That was two must-have priorities for the hire.
- Muschamp has not made an offensive line hire official yet, and that should be within the coming days. Some have speculated that Texas OL Stacy Searels is the primary target, although one would think he would already have been hired.
- Kevin Sumlin has said he won’t be pursuing any other jobs, NFL or college, and he received an extension and raise a few weeks ago.
- James Franklin is a hot name among several vacant positions. He’s said to be in the top five at Texas, although I don’t expect him to get that job, and he’s also said to be atop Penn State’s wish list. But if you read why Bill O’Brien left Happy Valley, it speaks to the dysfunction of the program.
Photo Credit: Randy Sartin-USA TODAY Sports