It’s that time of the year when the coaching carousel is drastically starting to slow down. As it stands right now, LSU has the only remaining job open in the SEC for a special teams coach, and seven teams should return every staff member in 2014, as opposed to Vanderbilt being the only team to return its full staff in 2013.
Related: 10 impact freshmen for 2014
Here’s a look at all the coaching changes in the SEC for 2013-14:
- Nick Saban hired unemployed Lane Kiffin to replace Doug Nussmeier, who left for Michigan, as the Tide’s new offensive coordinator.
- DL coach Chris Rumph accepted a job with Texas to join Charlie Strong’s staff, and Alabama hired former Texas and USC DL coach Bo Davis to replace Rumph.
- DB coach Greg Brown stepped down last month, and he will become Louisville’s safeties coach. DC Kirby Smart will coach the secondary.
- Director of Player Personnel Kevin Steele will coach the linebackers next season.
- DL coach Charlie Partridge left for the head-coaching job at FAU.
- Bret Bielema hired Samford assistant coach Rory Segrest, who has NFL and college experience, to replace Partridge.
- DC Chris Ash bolted for Ohio State to become the Buckeyes’ co-defensive coordinator.
- Randy Shannon was promoted to senior associate head coach.
- Bielema hired Robb Smith as his new defensive coordinator.
Related: Bielema suspends RB Alex Collins
- Florida fired OC Brent Pease and OL coach Tim Davis at the end of the season.
- Will Muschamp hired Duke OC Kurt Roper, who will run an up-tempo attack and mentor QBs Jeff Driskel and incoming freshman Will Grier.
- Muschamp hired Mike Summers, former USC O-line coach, to serve in the same capacity.
- DB coach Scott Lakatos left for personal reasons.
- DC Todd Grantham left to join Bobby Petrino’s staff at Louisville to serve in the same capacity.
- Georgia hired FSU DC Jeremy Pruitt, and it’s the best hire Mark Richt and UGA could have made. Pruitt will also coach the secondary.
- Georgia hired Kevin Sherrer will coach the SAM linebackers and the nickel/star position.
- Tracy Rocker was hired as the new defensive line coach. He’s coached at three different programs in the SEC, as well as being the Tennessee Titans’ defensive line coach the last three seasons.
- Georgia hired Mike Ekeler, who will coach the inside linebackers and have a role with special teams. Ekeler last coached at Southern Cal.
- Les Miles fired OL coach Greg Studrawa.
- LSU hired Virginia Tech and former Auburn OL coach Jeff Grimes to replace Studrawa.
- Special teams coach Thomas McGaughey left for the NY Jets in the same capacity.
- Miles is said to be targeting Mike Haywood and Bradley Dale Peveto to replace McGaughey, and it remains as the SEC’s only open job.
- OC Les Koenning left for Texas to join Charlie Strong’s staff as a WR coach.
- DC Geoff Collins received a raise and extension after FSU flirted with hiring him.
- Mullen hired Utah co-offensive coordinator Brian Johnson, who will coach the quarterbacks.
- John Hevesy and Billy Gonzales will be co-offensive coordinators.
- Running backs coach Greg Knox will also coach the special teams.
- Co-defensive coordinator and DB coach Marcel Yates left for Boise State.
- Kevin Sumlin hired Nebraska DB coach Terry Joseph to replace Yates.
- AD David Williams hired Stanford DC Derek Mason.
- Karl Dorrell becomes the new offensive coordinator. He was the QB coach for the Houston Texans and a former UCLA head coach.
- Kevin Lightner will coach the offensive line.
- Gerry Gdowski will coach the wide receivers.
- Charles Bankins will coach the running backs, as the only holdover from James Franklin’s staff.
- David Kotulski becomes the new defensive coordinator.
- Kenwick Thompson will coach the outside linebackers.
- Vavae Tata will coach the defensive line.
Photo Credit: Justin Ford-USA TODAY Sports