Cover photo credit to the amazing folks at AeroPhoto
The arms race of stadium expansion and renovations is ongoing this offseason.
Kentucky, LSU, Missouri, Mississippi State and Texas A&M are all renovating their football stadiums as we speak, and let’s get an update on all five and where they currently stand.
Kentucky Wildcats: Commonwealth Stadium renovations
- Kentucky’s 41-year-old Commonwealth Stadium is undergoing a $110 million face lift that is projected to be finished for the 2015 football season.
- The Wildcats are actually reducing the capacity from 67,000 to 61,000 to make it a smaller, more fan-friendly atmosphere. The photo below was taken in February and posted on Kentucky.com.
LSU Tigers: Tiger Stadium renovations
- LSU is expanding Tiger Stadium’s South End Zone, adding a new upper deck with luxury suites, which will bring the capacity over 100,000. You can view a final rendering here. The following photos are from LSUSports.net, and they were taken yesterday.
Missouri Tigers: Memorial Stadium renovations
- By the start of the 2013 season, the west side press box at Faurot Field was renovated, and the facilities housing the press was moved to the sixth floor. The existing press box facilities were converted into premium suites.
- Also, the “Rock M” and grass berm were moved closer to the north endzone, and the northern concourse was expanded.
- For the 2014 season, an upper bowl will be completed for the east side of the stadium, providing 5,200 general admission seats and 800 club seats. You can see that progress in the photo below.
Mississippi State Bulldogs: Davis Wade Stadium renovations
- A $75 million expansion will be complete before the 2014 season, which will increase the seating capacity to 61,337.
- It will create a new west side concourse, as well as new restrooms and concessions.
- The expansion includes sealing off the north endzone and installing a large high-definition video board that will replace the JumboTron that was installed in 1997. You can see the progress in the photo below.
Texas A&M Aggies: Kyle Field renovations
- Texas A&M will have a two-phase renovation. The first phase will be complete by August, with the second phase happening next offseason.
- Phase I: Demolition of the first deck of the east side of the stadium, re-construction of the first deck, and construction of the south endzone, which will include seating, media interview areas, 12th Man Productions and related gameday support, a commissary and recruiting area.
- Phase II: Demolition of the entire west side of the stadium, complete construction of the south endzone, and re-construction of the west side.
[Facebook: Aggie Athletics]