Published February 8, 2014 - 1:00pmNEW: Follow on facebook -
SDS is continually counting down the top 25 players in the SEC for 2013, and we’re not stopping until we get to No. 1. I know you’ll agree with every single one…
No. 10 Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M (SO)
2013 stats: 69 catches, 1,394 yards, 12 TDs, 20.20 YPC
Why he’s No. 10: Mike Evans blew up in 2013. We knew Evans was a very good possession receiver from his freshman year in 2012, but he took his game to another level and became one of the biggest game-breakers in the country.
Evans’ 6-5, 225-pound frame allowed him to dominate smaller receivers. Yes, he dropped some passes, but there’s rarely a coach that feels comfortable about their corners lining up against him. He’s not a straight-line burner, but he’s a matchup nightmare. And he’s a red zone mismatch waiting to happen.
Evans’ 69 catches were good for fourth in the conference, and his 1,394 yards were good for second. Aside from Auburn’s Sammie Coates’ 21.48 yards per catch (he had 27 fewer receptions), nobody became the receiving threat of Evans, who was the only player in the country to record two separate games with 200-plus yards receiving.
Although Evans was superior, he’s fairly raw and inexperienced. He’s only played football now for a few years, as he was always a basketball player. His upside is sky high, and one team will take a chance on him early in the first round.
Top 25 player rankings:
- No. 11: Florida CB Vernon Hargreaves
- No. 12: Auburn OT Greg Robinson
- No. 13: LSU WR Odell Beckham
- No. 14: South Carolina RB Mike Davis
- No. 15: Missouri DE Kony Ealy
- No. 16: South Carolina DT Kelcy Quarles
- No. 17: Missouri RB Henry Josey
- No. 18: Alabama QB AJ McCarron
- No. 19: South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney
- No. 20: LSU WR Jarvis Landry
- No. 21: Ole Miss DB Cody Prewitt
- No. 22: Missouri CB EJ Gaines
- No. 23: Georgia LB Ramik Wilson
- No. 24: Missouri WR Dorial Green-Beckham
- No. 25: LSU QB Zach Mettenberger
Photo Credit: Thomas Campbell-USA TODAY Sports