Published February 3, 2014 - 9:14amNEW: Follow on facebook -
SDS is continually counting down the top 25 players in the SEC for 2013, and we’re not stopping until we get to No. 1. I know you’ll agree with every single one…
No.14 Mike Davis, RB, South Carolina (SO)
2013 stats: 203 carries, 1,183 yards, 5.8 YPC, 11 TDs
Why he’s No. 14: You’ll be hard pressed to find a better running back through the first half of the 2013 season than Mike Davis. Carolina’s pounder turned out to be a pure bully ball carrier from week one.
Davis finished fourth in rushing behind Tre Mason, Jeremy Hill and TJ Yeldon, recording 1,183 yards and 11 TDs. Davis is a physical runner who isn’t afraid to take a hit. He can hit you between the tackles, and he can hit you on the edge. His speed, quickness and athleticism are outstanding, but his incredible vision is also a huge asset and can help take his game to another level.
It wasn’t surprising he blew up the way he did. What was surprising is how he flashed another gear that nobody thought he had. Davis was the only player in the SEC to have two 70-plus yard runs during the season. He recorded 11 20-plus yard runs and three 50-plus yard runs.
His short and compact frame allows him to contort his body to never take a big hit, and like so many other top SEC backs, he’s returning for another season. How good will his game get, and how high can he take South Carolina in 2014?
Top 25 player rankings:
- No. 15: Missouri DE Kony Ealy
- No. 16: South Carolina DT Kelcy Quarles
- No. 17: Missouri RB Henry Josey
- No. 18: Alabama QB AJ McCarron
- No. 19: South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney
- No. 20: LSU WR Jarvis Landry
- No. 21: Ole Miss DB Cody Prewitt
- No. 22: Missouri CB EJ Gaines
- No. 23: Georgia LB Ramik Wilson
- No. 24: Missouri WR Dorial Green-Beckham
- No. 25: LSU QB Zach Mettenberger
Photo Credit: Jeff Blake-USA TODAY Sports