SDS is continually counting down the top 25 players in the SEC for 2013, and we’re not stopping until we get to No. 1. I know you’ll agree with every single one…
No.16 Kelcy Quarles, DT, South Carolina (JR)
2013 stats: 39 tackles, 13.5 TFL, 9.5 sacks, 3 QB hurries
Why he’s No. 16: Kelcy Quarles, not Jadeveon Clowney, was South Carolina’s leader along the defensive line. The former Fork Union Military Academy transfer had a huge junior season, propelling him to the top of several draft boards as a tackle.
Quarles led the Gamecocks with 13.5 tackles for loss and 9.5 sacks in 2013. South Carolina is known for having a freaky defensive line and developing players who maximize their talent, and Quarles is a great example.
The first thing that jumps out about Quarles is his sack production for his position, and his frame will allow him to get 315 pounds at the next level. Quarles is still an overall raw player who has a ton of upside.
He’s a bull rusher who is a force against the run, and his best days are ahead in the NFL. He could start for several teams next season.
Top 25 player rankings:
- No. 17: Missouri RB Henry Josey
- No. 18: Alabama QB AJ McCarron
- No. 19: South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney
- No. 20: LSU WR Jarvis Landry
- No. 21: Ole Miss DB Cody Prewitt
- No. 22: Missouri CB EJ Gaines
- No. 23: Georgia LB Ramik Wilson
- No. 24: Missouri WR Dorial Green-Beckham
- No. 25: LSU QB Zach Mettenberger
Photo Credit: Jeff Blake-USA TODAY Sports