Published December 25, 2013 - 12:00pmNEW: Follow on facebook -
The cornerback position in this SEC class is loaded with talent. Here are five incoming prospects who look like they’ll fit comfortably into the conference. All already seem to have the sixth sense needed to cover SEC caliber receivers.
Editor’s note: Saturday Down South’s references to ratings follow the 247Sports.com composite rankings.
1. Tony Brown–Alabama commit
- Ozen (Beaumont, Texas), 6-0/190
- The skinny: Brown has elite track speed and instincts that would make any defensive coordinator blush. Along with that, he’s about as humble as a five-star prospect can get. Just another big get for Nick Saban.
2. Jalen Tabor–Florida commit
- Friendship Academy (Washington, D.C.), 6-1/185
- The skinny: Tabor is one of Florida’s most recent commitments, and a bit of a surprise after he committed to Arizona on live television two weeks ago. He’s a huge pickup for Florida, and will play instantly.
3. Nick Harvey—Texas A&M commit
- Travis (Richmond, Texas), 5-10/180
- The skinny: When it comes to being well-balanced, Harvey is your guys. He’s been on board with the Aggies for a long, long time, another great example of the way Texas A&M is recruiting these days. Look for he and fellow DB commit Cedric Collins to be two of the reasons the Aggies begin slowing down opposing offenses, instead of just having to outscore them.
4. Malkom Parrish–Georgia commit
- Brooks County (Quitman, Ga.), 5-9/190
- The skinny: Parrish isn’t 6-foot-3, but it’ll hardly matter when this quick ball-hawking DB gets on the field for the Bulldogs. Ball fakes won’t work on this guy, he’s too quick to get burned by it, and he can switch directions as well as a waterbug.
5. Kalvaraz Bessent—Auburn commit
- Camden County (Kingsland, Ga.), 6-0/170
- The skinny: Bessent is the top CB commit for the Auburn so far (Stephen Roberts and Nick Ruffin are good too), and he has a knack for the ball. He’s not the tallest cornerback that ever came along, but then again he’s not the shortest. He’s just a prototypical Georgia product who will explode at the next level.
Here are the SEC’s top ranked commits by position prior to National Signing Day:
- Dual-Threat Quarterbacks
- Pro-Style Quarterbacks
- Running Backs
- All-Purpose Running Backs
- Wide Receivers
- Tight Ends
- Offensive Tackles
- Offensive Guards
- Offensive Centers
- Weak-Side Defensive Ends
- Strong-Side Defensive Ends
- Defensive Tackles
- Inside Linebackers
- Outside Linebackers