Published February 17, 2014 - 8:00pmNEW: Follow on facebook -
Here’s one thing Mississippi’s bitter rival SEC schools can agree on–they have the SEC’s top-rated kicker and top-rated punter coming to their home state.
Here’s a look at the best five kicking specialists in this year’s SEC recruiting class (high school recruits only).
EDITOR’S NOTE: All references to ratings come from the 247Sports.com composite ranking
1. Cole Hedlund–Arkansas
- Argyle (Texas), 5-10/170
- The skinny: This Razorbacks signee turned heads when he actually kicked 24 field goals as a senior, landing him on the Parade All America first team. The kid is automatic, and is ranked the No. 2 placekicking prospect in America.
2. Gary Wunderlich–Ole Miss
- Memphis University (Memphis, Tenn.), 6-0/180
- The skinny: Wunderlich is rated the No. 3 placekicking prospect in America and he was recently in the Under Armour Game. The kicker got early scholarship offers, which is rare for his position.
3. J.K. Scott–Alabama
- J.K. Mullen (Denver, Colo.), 6-4/185
- The skinny: Scott is a big kid with good range and he has been on board with the Crimson Tide since June of 2013 — which is a very early commitment for a kicking prospect.
4. Aaron Medley–Tennessee
- Marshall County (Lewisburg, Tenn.), 6-2/170
- The skinny: Oklahoma and Texas A&M also offered this kicker/punter–and he could do both duties for the Vols when he reaches campus. He also was selected to participate in the Under-Armour Game.
5. Logan Cooke–Mississippi State
- Columbia Academy (Columbia, Miss.), 6-5/200
- The skinny: Cooke, like most of the others above, is a very good punter/placekicker combo. He hit a 46-yard field goal this past season, but he also averaged 44 yards per punt. Honestly, any of the above players could be switched around. They are all good.
Top 5 signees broken down by position:
- Dual-Threat Quarterbacks
- Pro-Style Quarterbacks
- Running Backs
- All-Purpose Running Backs
- Wide Receivers
- Tight Ends
- Offensive Tackles
- Offensive Guards
- Offensive Centers
- Weak-Side Defensive Ends
- Strong-Side Defensive Ends
- Defensive Tackles
- Inside Linebackers
- Outside Linebackers