Published February 12, 2014 - 8:00pmNEW: Follow on facebook -
Auburn boasts the SEC’s top inside linebacker in Tre Williams and the No. 5 ILB in Da’Shaun Davis. Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama all had one player apiece on the list.
Related: SEC’s 10 impact freshmen for 2014
Here’s a look at the best five inside linebackers in this year’s SEC recruiting class (high school recruits only).
EDITOR’S NOTE: All references to ratings come from the 247Sports.com composite ranking
1. Tre Williams–Auburn
- St. Paul’s (Mobile, Ala.), 6-2/230
- The skinny: Williams is an intelligent prospect who might be as strong in the intangibles department as he is in the athleticism department–a great combination for the inside linebacker position, where split-second decision making can make all the difference in the world.
2. Shaun Hamilton–Alabama
- Carver (Montgomery, Ala.), 6-0/240
- The skinny: OK, so Hamilton isn’t 6-foot-4, so what? He comes from a national powerhouse prep program and has been coached well at that level. He’s compact, strong and explosive. Watch out–it’s another great defensive recruit heading to Alabama.
3. Gavin Bryant–Tennessee
- Jackson (Ala.), 6-2/230
- The skinny: An Alabama native, Bryant is just your consummate tackling machine. He had Miami trying to sway him away from being a Vols commitment, but he never budged. That’s one more thing to be proud of for Vols fans, that Tennessee can withstand the poaching.
4. Detric Dukes–Georgia
- Tucker (Ga.), 6-0/220
- The skinny: A bit underrated by some entities, Dukes may be the darkhorse of the group. Not surprisingly for the ILB position, he seems to have been born with the ability to play this position–it hasn’t all been taught to him.
5. De’Shaun Davis–Auburn
- Vigor (Mobile, Ala.), 6-0/225
- The skinny: There never really was much doubt about where Davis would land, as he spent every last waking moment he could at Auburn. He’s a leader, and he’s instinctive–along with being a heck of a tackler.
Top 5 signees broken down by position:
- Dual-Threat Quarterbacks
- Pro-Style Quarterbacks
- Running Backs
- All-Purpose Running Backs
- Wide Receivers
- Tight Ends
- Offensive Tackles
- Offensive Guards
- Offensive Centers
- Weak-Side Defensive Ends
- Strong-Side Defensive Ends
- Defensive Tackles
- Inside Linebackers
- Outside Linebackers