Published February 18, 2014 - 4:00pmNEW: Follow on facebook -
The cornerback position in this SEC class is loaded with talent. Here are five incoming prospects who look like they’ll fit comfortably into the conference. All already seem to have the sixth sense needed to cover SEC caliber receivers.
Editor’s note: Saturday Down South’s references to ratings follow the 247Sports.com composite rankings.
1. Tony Brown–Alabama
- Ozen (Beaumont, Texas), 6-0/190
- The skinny: Brown has elite track speed and instincts that would make any defensive coordinator blush. Along with that, he’s about as humble as a five-star prospect can get. Just another big get for Nick Saban.
2. Marlon Humphrey–Alabama
- Hoover (Birmingham, Ala.), 6-1/175
- The skinny: This Alabama legacy has everything a player needs to blow away the SEC at the corner position. He has the elite speed and coverage skills needed to lock down a taller wide receiver, but he’s not 5-foot-9 either (no offense, Adoree Jackson).
3. Jalen Tabor–Florida
- Friendship Academy (Washington, D.C.), 6-1/185
- The skinny: Tabor was one of Florida’s last commitments, coming down the recruiting ‘stretch’. He is a bit of a surprise after he committed to Arizona on live television during the all-star games. He’s a huge pickup for Florida, and will play instantly.
3. Nick Harvey—Texas A&M
- Travis (Richmond, Texas), 5-10/180
- The skinny: When it comes to being well-balanced, Harvey is your guy. He’s been on board with the Aggies for a long, long time, another great example of the way Texas A&M is recruiting these days. Look for him to be one of the reasons the Aggies begin slowing down opposing offenses, instead of just having to outscore them.
5. Malkom Parrish–Georgia
- Brooks County (Quitman, Ga.), 5-9/190
- The skinny: Parrish isn’t 6-foot-3, but it’ll hardly matter when this quick ball-hawking DB gets on the field for the Bulldogs. Ball fakes won’t work on this guy, he’s too quick to get burned by it, and he can switch directions as well as a waterbug.
Top 5 signees broken down by position:
- Dual-Threat Quarterbacks
- Pro-Style Quarterbacks
- Running Backs
- All-Purpose Running Backs
- Wide Receivers
- Tight Ends
- Offensive Tackles
- Offensive Guards
- Offensive Centers
- Weak-Side Defensive Ends
- Strong-Side Defensive Ends
- Defensive Tackles
- Inside Linebackers
- Outside Linebackers