Penn State, Pitt and the rest of the northeastern powers aren’t the only programs mining talent in the state of Pennsylvania–the SEC does a pretty good job too. Here are the best five Pennsylvania pickups of the past five seasons (2010 through 2014) who made the biggest splash, in our opinion.
Editor’s note: Saturday Down South’s references to ratings follow the 247Sports.com composite rankings.
1. Sharrif Floyd, DL, Philadelphia (Pa.)
- Pennsylvania rank: No. 1 overall in the state in 2010
- SEC school: Florida
- The skinny: Floyd was a huge success at Florida, gaining All-American status during his career and eventually becoming a first-round pick in the NFL Draft. He’s one of the bigger success stories the Gators have produced since their national championships in 2006 and 2008.
2. Harold Brantley, DL, Hershey (Pa.)
- Pennsylvania rank: No. 50 in 2012
- SEC school: Mizzou
- The skinny: Surprised? Brantley was virtually ignored by the SEC when he signed two years ago, but he has already been solid for the Tigers on the D-line. He had 31 tackles and 2 passes defensed as a redshirt freshman in 2013, and he figures heavily into their plans this year. Brantley was even named SEC special teams player of the week for his part in two huge plays in a win over Ole Miss.
3. Robert Foster, WR, Monaca (Pa.)
- Pennsylvania rank: No. 1 in 2013
- SEC school: Alabama
- The skinny: Foster snags this spot because of his potential, obviously. He redshirted in 2013, but he’s looking to play a huge part in any success the Crimson Tide have in the passing game this fall. All we can say at this point is that he has looked impressive in workouts.
4. Alex Anzalone, LB, Reading (Pa.)
- Pennsylvania rank: No. 4 overall in 2013
- SEC school: Florida
- The skinny: Much like Foster above, this is based a bit more on potential than on-the-field dominance–so far. Anzalone was coveted by most of the regional powers in his area, but with a last-second switch, he came on board with the Gators. He played in 10 games as a true freshman last fall.
5. David Williams, RB, Philadelphia (Pa.)
- Pennsylvania rank: No. 7 in 2013
- SEC school: South Carolina
- The skinny: Our third straight pick based on potential. Yes, Colin Thompson at Florida and Brendan Nosovitch at South Carolina are also Pa. products and may turn out great, but we think that after the logjam at RB at Carolina clears, Williams is going to explode. He has elite speed and was a monster recruit coming out of high school.