So who are the new big names? Who are the kids who already have caught the eye of the Sabans, the Miles, the Spurriers, the Sumlins?
Here’s a list of the top five current SEC commitments for the class of 2015.
Oh, and none of the five are heading to Alabama … which I found interesting. That’ll probably change within a month or two, but for now the Crimson Tide are shut out.
EDITOR’S NOTE: All rankings, team or individual, are based on composite rankings from 247Sports.com.
1. Kevin Toliver, DB, Jacksonville (Fla.)
- COLLEGE: LSU
- NATIONAL RANK: No. 1 overall prospect
- THE SKINNY: Toliver is from the football factory of Trinity Christian in Jacksonville (Fla.), a program headed up by coach Verlon Dorminey. Toliver plays cornerback and could be the next great one at LSU.
2. Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater (Texas)
- COLLEGE: Texas A&M
- NATIONAL RANK: No. 11
- THE SKINNY: Mack is a great example of how coach Kevin Sumlin is trying to turn things around on the defensive side of the ball. He’s a bowling ball when he gets in the offensive backfield.
3. Terry Godwin, ATH, Hogansville (Ga.)
- COLLEGE: Georgia
- NATIONAL RANK: No. 18
- THE SKINNY: Godwin could play cornerback or wide receiver, he’s that versatile. He’s one of the top prospects in talent rich Georgia, too. He’s a swift moving guy who can make plays.
4. Shameik Blackshear, DE, Bluffton (S.C.)
- COLLEGE: South Carolina
- NATIONAL RANK: No. 20
- THE SKINNY: Blackshear is a huge kid, and he’s the best prospect in the state of South Carolina–proving the Gamecocks can continue to get who they want when it comes to in-state talent.
5. Maea Teuhema, OL, Keller (Texas)
- COLLEGE: LSU
- NATIONAL RANK: No. 21
- THE SKINNY: The former Texas commitment switched over from the Tigers this past week, joining his brother–who signed a letter of intent with the 2014 class on Wednesday.