So who are the new big names? Who are the players coaches already covet more than the rest? Below are the top five uncommitted SEC targets for 2015.
All five of these clear SEC targets (and probable commitments, I might add) who are within the national top 10 in rankings. The only top player I don’t include here is QB Josh Rosen of California (and three are already committed). Rosen appears to be a Pac 12 bound kid, despite Lane Kiffin being at Alabama now.
Also, Florida is in serious contention for two of these five–Martez Ivey and George Campbell.
EDITOR’S NOTE: All rankings, team or individual, are based on composite rankings from 247Sports.com.
1. Trent Thompson, DT, Albany (Ga.)
- POTENTIAL COLLEGES: Georgia, FSU, Michigan State, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Mississippi State, Tennessee
- NATIONAL RANK: No. 2 overall prospect
- THE SKINNY: It would be hard to see Thompson leave the state of Georgia, but stranger things have happened. He has the frame to be a dominant tackle at the next level–and quickly.
2. Martez Ivey, OL, Apopka (Fla.)
- POTENTIAL COLLEGES: Florida, Alabama, South Carolina
- NATIONAL RANK: No. 6
- THE SKINNY: Ivey is a tremendous offensive tackle at 6-foot-6, 280 pounds, with room to add good weight. Florida’s the team to watch here, but if they struggle this fall, Alabama may be one to keep an eye on.
3. George Campbell, ATH, Tarpon Springs (Fla.)
- POTENTIAL COLLEGES: Florida, FSU, Clemson, Michigan, Alabama, Kentucky, Mizzou
- NATIONAL RANK: No. 7
- THE SKINNY: Whether you put Campbell at wide receiver or defensive back, this 6-foot-3, 185-pound athlete can make an impact. The Gators are a team to watch here, but if they struggle this year, it could open up.
4. Daron Payne, DT, Birmingham (Ala.)
- POTENTIAL COLLEGES: Alabama, Auburn.
- NATIONAL RANK: No. 8
- THE SKINNY: Payne is going to be one of those classic Alabama-Auburn recruiting battles, with the Crimson Tide looking like the program with the upper hand at this point. He’s 6-foot-2, 315 pounds.
5. Kendall Sheffield, DB, Missouri City (Texas)
- POTENTIAL COLLEGES: Texas A&M, Texas, Alabama, Florida, LSU
- NATIONAL RANK: No. 9
- THE SKINNY: It’s hard to see Sheffield leaving the state of Texas, and with the early playing time looking available at Texas A&M, one has to think that’s where he’ll end up. Time will tell.