Perhaps no SEC team has as much to gain (or lose) as Florida does when it comes to the 2015 class. The Gators have several can’t-miss in-state stars who–if they all end up in Gainesville and not in Tallahassee or Tuscaloosa or Auburn–would be the backbone of a scary talented Florida class. Most are of the five-star variety.
Take a look at the top five 2015 prospects Florida has a decent to outstanding chance of landing before next year’s national signing day.
Editor’s note: Saturday Down South’s references to ratings follow the 247Sports.com composite rankings.
1. Martez Ivey, Apopka (Fla.), 6-6/280, Offensive Line
- National rank: No. 5 overall prospect
- SEC schools: Florida, Alabama, Auburn, South Carolina
- The skinny: Arguably the top talent in the state of Florida (with LSU commitment Kevin Toliver being the other finalist), Ivey is extremely well coached at the high school level and has a great frame for the tackle position. This is Florida’s player to lose, and would be a key part of the potential 2015 class.
2. CeCe Jefferson, Macclenny (Fla.), 6-2/250, Defensive End
- National rank: No. 7 overall
- SEC schools: Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia
- The skinny: This is a defensive playmaker right here. He thrives in the opponents’ backfield and makes it all happen. Jefferson is just one of those kids who has a sixth sense about where to be and how to knock the daylights out of the opponent. Florida’s the team to beat here, but Alabama is trying very, very hard.
3. George Campbell, Tarpon Springs (Fla.), 6-3/185, Athlete
- National rank: No. 12 overall
- SEC schools: Florida, Alabama
- The skinny: Put him at safety, put him at receiver, put him anywhere–this is a contributor. Rated the No. 1 “athlete” in the nation, Campbell is a game changing playmaker. He has super-elite speed, timed at one point at 4.36 seconds in the 40-yard dash. Just an incredible talent. Gators are definitely one of the serious contenders here.
4. Jeffery Holland, Jacksonville (Fla.), 6-2/230, Linebacker
- National rank: No. 32 overall
- SEC schools: Florida, Alabama, Auburn
- The skinny: This is an incredible athlete with all kinds of instincts for the position. He seems like a serious Florida lean, but Auburn is also a big-time team to keep an eye on. He has named Auburn, Florida State, Ohio State, Florida, Alabama and UCLA as his most recent top six.
5. Adonis Thomas, Lawrenceville (Ga.), 6-4/215, Athlete
- National rank: No. 247 overall
- SEC schools: Florida, Georgia
- The skinny: Things have been heating up lately for this athlete. Several SEC schools have come forward to offer scholarships in recent weeks, homestate Georgia being one of them. Thomas could end up at linebacker, but has the versatility to play several positions.