Mississippi State has a top 10 nationally ranked class for 2015 with 9 commitments already on board, but the Bulldogs have a whole lot of other top targets they’re trying to land–here’s the best five.
Editor’s note: Saturday Down South’s references to ratings follow the 247Sports.com composite rankings.
1. Jamal Peters, Bassfield (Miss.), 6-3/200, DB
- National rank: No. 46 overall prospect
- SEC schools: Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Alabama, LSU
- The skinny: The No. 1 prospect in Mississippi, Peters is an elite safety who can hit like a truck. He’s big, he’s quick and he has a knack for the big play. Look for him to dominate at the next level, no matter where he goes. The Bulldogs are definitely in the mix, but Ole Miss and Alabama are seriously in the mix, too.
2. Javon Patterson, Petal (Miss.), 6-4/290, OL
- National rank: No. 59 overall
- SEC schools: Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Alabama
- The skinny: The Rebels are one of the serious leaders for this outstanding offensive guard prospect, but this is a recurring theme–Mississippi State and poacher Alabama are right behind chasing him down. Other SEC schools like Florida have offered recently, but guys like Patterson tend to stay close to their Mississippi homes.
3. Malik Dear, Jackson (Miss.), 5-10/185, ATH
- National rank: No. 67 overall
- SEC schools: Mississippi State, Ole Miss
- The skinny: Just another one of those classic in-state battles in Mississippi, where the Bulldogs and Rebels will be duking it out until the end. Dear is talented enough to play several positions–he rushed for 1,000, caught a ton of passes and even played some quarterback for Murrah HS in Jackson. He’s a sleek athlete.
4. Leo Lewis, Brookhaven (Miss.), 6-3/225, LB
- National rank: No. 88 overall
- SEC schools: Mississippi State, Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn
- The skinny: This kid is a hitter, and he has attracting out-of-state coaches as much as he’s attracted the in-state SEC coaches. So look for this to be a recruiting battle between Mississippi State/Ole Miss and Alabama, who would love to steal him away.
5. Fletcher Adams, Brandon (Miss.), 6-3/255, DT
- National rank: No. 152 overall
- SEC schools: Mississippi State, Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss, LSU
- The skinny: Adams is just another outstanding example of how good the talent is in Mississippi this year. He is very active in the backfield, and it looks very likely that he could end up in Starkville before everything is said and done.