SEC’s top 25 players of 2013: No. 24 LSU’s Craig Loston
SDS is continually counting down the top 25 players in the SEC for 2013, and we’re not stopping until we get to No. 1. I know you’ll agree with every single one…
No. 24 – Craig Loston, SS, LSU (SR)
2012 stats: 55 tackles, 3 TFL, 3 INTs, 4 passes defended
Projecting 2013 stats: 65 tackles and 3 INTs
Why he’s worthy: It may have taken LSU’s ultra-talented and hard-hitting safety Craig Loston three seasons to finally become a breakout player, but he exploded onto the scene in 2012. The former five-star prospect looks like he’s finally becoming the player everyone thought he would be when he signed with the Tigers.
The one thing I love about Loston’s game is his aggression. The kid hits like a Mack Truck, and he seems to be in the right place at the right time, notching three INTs last season. Now, Loston becomes the weathered and seasoned veteran of an all-of-the-sudden inexperienced secondary.
If there were one knock against Loston’s game it would be that he is injury prone. It has been the biggest inhibitor of Loston’s underdeveloped game, leaving some to think Loston would never live up to the hype.
And he probably hasn’t truly lived up to his extensive recruiting buildup yet, but Loston should flourish now that he’s had five seasons, including one redshirt, to learn John Chavis’ gaudy defense. Loston will be the experience that a youthful secondary needs. Sophomore corners Jalen Mills and Jalen Collins, as well as new safety Ronald Martin, who replaces the ultra-talented Eric Reid, will lean on Loston to be the superior voice. He’s one of only three LSU Tigers born before 1990.
Loston looks to take his game from good to great in 2013 and become a premier safety in college football.
1. Biggest freak in college football
2. Johnny what’s his name?
3. Best running back in college football
4. The biggest winner in the rankings
5. College football’s No. 2 overall running back
6. A record-setting QB
7. The Tide’s defensive glue
8. The best offensive tackle in college football?
9. Alabama’s O-line anchor
10. Texas A&M’s versatile left tackle
11. The biggest deep threat in the country?
12. Florida’s dancing defender
13. One LB who should explode in 2013
14. Jarvis Jones who?
15. The SEC East’s top receiver
16. Florida’s Honey Badger
17. A receiver who doesn’t drop passes…ever
18. LSU’s freak
19. A Rebel who knows he’s good
20. Funny name; not a funny game
21. Arkansas’ O-line anchor
22. A receiving freak
23. An underrated Tennessee head smasher
24. LSU’s defensive quarterback
25. An unheralded Hog
Photo Credit: Derick E. Hingle-US PRESSWIRE