SEC’s top 25 players of 2013: No. 9 Alabama’s Cyrus Kouandjio
SDS is continually counting down the top 25 players in the SEC for 2013, and we’re not stopping until we get to No. 1. I know you’ll agree with every single one…
No. 9: Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama (JR)
Why he’s worthy: Continuing the countdown is another big ugly who could be the premier tackle in all of college football. In fact, he’ll likely be a top five pick in next spring’s draft based on upside alone.
The 6-6, 310-pound junior is an absolute road grader and pass blocker. He has franchise tackle written all over him at the next level. He started all 13 games last season at left tackle, and he’ll do the same in 2013.
Kouandjio only allowed 3.5 sacks as a first-year fulltime starter blocking AJ McCarron’s blindside, and he graded out at 90 percent or better in six games.
He’s a big reason why Alabama’s rushing attack averaged over 227 yards per game and the passing offense averaged over 218 yards per game. That’s almost a perfect offensive balance.
Kouandjio will be playing right next to his brother, Arie, who replaces Chance Warmack at left guard, and the Kouandjio brothers should create an enviable tandem blocking for TJ Yeldon, Derrick Henry and others.
Kounadjio’s upside is enormous, and with continued development, agility and strengthening, Kouanjio could be one of the best tackles ever at the next level. He’s that good.
1. Biggest freak in college football
2. Johnny what’s his name?
3. Best running back in college football
4. The biggest winner in the rankings
5. College football’s No. 2 overall running back
6. A record-setting QB
7. The Tide’s defensive glue
8. The best offensive tackle in college football?
9. Alabama’s O-line anchor
10. Texas A&M’s versatile left tackle
11. The biggest deep threat in the country?
12. Florida’s dancing defender
13. One LB who should explode in 2013
14. Jarvis Jones who?
15. The SEC East’s top receiver
16. Florida’s Honey Badger
17. A receiver who doesn’t drop passes…ever
18. LSU’s freak
19. A Rebel who knows he’s good
20. Funny name; not a funny game
21. Arkansas’ O-line anchor
22. A receiving freak
23. An underrated Tennessee head smasher
24. LSU’s defensive quarterback
25. An unheralded Hog
Photo Credit: Tim Heitman-US PRESSWIRE