SEC’s top 25 players of 2013: No. 22 Ole Miss’ Donte Moncrief
SDS is continually counting down the top 25 players in the SEC for 2013, and we’re not stopping until we get to No. 1. I know you’ll agree with every single one…
No. 22 – Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss (JR)
2012 stats: 66 catches for 979 yards (14.8ypc) and 10 TDs
Projecting 2013 stats: 72 catches for 1,065 yards and 10 TDs
Why he’s worthy: As one of the biggest unsung heroes in the SEC, Donte Moncrief looks to explode in 2013. His 6-3, 230-pound frame oozes the perfect combination of size and speed of a raw, fluid and very athletic wide receiver.
He enters his junior season fifth in school history with 14 career touchdown catches and is tied for fourth with four 100-yard receiving games. The SEC’s receiver position is top heavy with Alabama’s Amari Cooper, Vandy’s Jordan Matthews, Texas A&M’s Mike Evans and Moncrief.
Simply put: Moncrief is a freak who boasts perfect body control and can grab any pass thrown his direction in heavy traffic. At 230 pounds, he runs a nasty 4.40 40, boasts a 39-inch vertical and broad jumps 11-1. If we’re talking merely athletes, Moncrief is in the top five in the conference.
Moncrief isn’t former Rebel Mike Wallace or Dexter McCluster, but he’s so good in his own way. He’s often overlooked and underutilized. Am I overlooking him by ranking him at No. 22? I’m the first to admit when I’m wrong, but I think there are three other receivers who will all post better numbers and bigger seasons. But only one of them has the athletic arsenal Moncrief possesses.
If Moncrief has a big junior season, it’s conceivable he’ll leave Ole Miss early and dominate the combine next spring en route to a long NFL career.
1. Biggest freak in college football
2. Johnny what’s his name?
3. Best running back in college football
4. The biggest winner in the rankings
5. College football’s No. 2 overall running back
6. A record-setting QB
7. The Tide’s defensive glue
8. The best offensive tackle in college football?
9. Alabama’s O-line anchor
10. Texas A&M’s versatile left tackle
11. The biggest deep threat in the country?
12. Florida’s dancing defender
13. One LB who should explode in 2013
14. Jarvis Jones who?
15. The SEC East’s top receiver
16. Florida’s Honey Badger
17. A receiver who doesn’t drop passes…ever
18. LSU’s freak
19. A Rebel who knows he’s good
20. Funny name; not a funny game
21. Arkansas’ O-line anchor
22. A receiving freak
23. An underrated Tennessee head smasher
24. LSU’s defensive quarterback
25. An unheralded Hog
Photo Credit: Beth Hall-US PRESSWIRE