The college basketball season is heating up, and that means more players will start to become household names as conference tournaments and March Madness draw near.
While Duke’s trio of outstanding freshmen — Zion Williams, R.J. Barrett and Cam Reddish — get a lot of national attention, the SEC is flying under the radar a bit when it comes to individual names standing out.
However, in Bleacher Report’s latest NBA Mock Draft, six SEC standouts are projected to be picked in the first round:
- No. 7 — Darius Garland, PG, Vanderbilt — Orlando Magic
- No. 10 — Keldon Johnson, G/F, Kentucky — Detroit Pistons
- No. 18 — Jontay Porter, F/C, Mizzou — Boston Celtics
- No. 20 — PJ Washington, F, Kentucky — San Antonio Spurs
- No. 21 — Daniel Gafford, F/C, Arkansas — Cleveland Cavaliers
- No. 26 — Grant Williams, F/C, Tennessee — Boston Celtics
Guys like Naz Reid (LSU) and Ashton Hagans (Kentucky) could also work their way into the first-round mix in the coming weeks, as they’ll be featured on some big stages.
For now, though, these six guys are likely first rounders, and we’ll see if they continue to impress as the postseason approaches.