The NFL Draft is approaching, but first players and teams will have a chance to meet in Indianapolis for the Scouting Combine at the end of February.
Still, many NFL analysts are putting together their initial mock drafts, and unsurprisingly, there are plenty of former SEC stars in the mix to be selected in the first round.
NFL.com analyst and former Washington Redskins GM Charley Casserly released his first-round mock draft on Tuesday, and he has an impressive 11 SEC athletes going on day one, as you can see below:
- No. 4 — Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama — Cleveland Browns
- No. 7 — Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama — Chicago Bears
- No. 11 — Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia — Miami Dolphins
- No. 17 — Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama — Los Angeles Chargers
- No. 18 — Arden Key, LB/DE, LSU — Seattle Seahawks
- No. 19 — Taven Bryan, DL, Florida — Dallas Cowboys
- No. 20 — Da’Ron Payne, DL, Alabama — Detroit Lions
- No. 24 — Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M — Carolina Panthers
- No. 26 — Isaiah Wynn, OL, Georgia — Atlanta Falcons
- No. 28 — Derrius Guice, RB, LSU — Pittsburgh Steelers
- No. 32 — Donte Jackson, DB, LSU — Philadelphia Eagles
That’s a lot more SEC players than most analysts have at this point, so it’ll be interesting to see if other analysts put more SEC players in their mock drafts or if Casserly takes a few out.
These next couple of months will be important, but there are plenty of great SEC athletes out there for the taking.