Butch Jones talks injuries, camp competitions and Georgia Tech during first fall press conference
Fall camp is set to commence this weekend in Knoxville but before the action takes place on the practice field, head coach Butch Jones met with the media Friday to update the status of his team heading into fall camp.
During his introductory fall press conference, Jones touched on a number of topics, ranging from the team’s progress in the weight room, the health of his players and the opening game in Atlanta against Georgia Tech.
Here are the highlights of what Jones had to say:
- 21 players can power clean 300 pounds
- 64 players on the weight room record board
- Confirms Jimmy Sexton is his new agent
- Notes the competitive depth heading into this season. Being able to redshirt in the past will help the 2017 team
- Says he’s improved in all areas of his coaching. Key focus on “constantly evolving in the development of your players…. This place is very challenging, blocking out the outside noise.”
- Update on injuries: OL Chance Hall limited (Knee), LBs Daniel Bituli, Darren Kirkland Jr. limited, DT Shy Tuttle will be available for individual drills
- New recruits have “dominant” traits, we have to direct those traits in the right area
- Starter at middle linebacker with Kirkland out: Cortez McDowell has done a good job, he’s changed his body, Colton Jumper has played a lot of football for us. We’ve had individuals play there.
- We pride ourselves on having a pro offense in terms of terminology
- On offensive line depth, experience: Competitivenesss brings out the best… We’ll have a snap count there early in camp
- The focus of the offseason: Details, accountability, and toughness. We’ve tried to define that for our football team.
- We are going to play great special teams at Tennessee
- On preparing for Georgia Tech’s triple offense: It’s important to get Kirkland out there. He’s about a week, a week ahead of schedule thanks to his training efforts. I expect he’ll be back by second week of camp. Tech has the best offensive line under Paul Johnson. We’ll only get 40 offensive snaps in this game.
- On kicking game: Competition is healthy. It’s going to be a great contest. Aaron will tell you, it has elevated his game.