Malzahn reiterates that Nick Marshall won't start against Arkansas
Auburn started game-planning for their season-opener against Arkansas on Monday and Gus Malzahn reiterated that Nick Marshall will not be starting against the Razorbacks.
When asked if there was any chance that Marshall would start, Malzahn responded by saying “I’ve already said he’s not going to start.” Multiple media outlets tweeted his answer during his Monday evening availability.
When fall camp opened on August 1, Malzahn’s first statement to the media was that Marshall would not start against the Razorbacks as a disciplinary action for being issued a citation for possession of marijuana. Days later, though, offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said that he hadn’t told Jeremy Johnson that he would be starting the Aug. 30 opener.
Throughout fall camp both Marshall and Johnson have gotten equal reps under center. According to AL.com, Malzahn said Monday that no decision had been made on how to split the reps among the quarterbacks in future practices.
Members of the Auburn coaching staff said both Marshall and Johnson have exceeded their expectations in fall camp. Marshall has come a long way since last year in Lashlee’s eyes. Johnson’s gone so far to say that Marshall will win the Heisman this year.