SEC in the pros: Johnny Football scores first career NFL touchdown
The SEC has produced more current NFL players than any other conference in America, and many of the Southeast’s former stars have continued to shine at football’s highest level.
Here are the best performances by SEC alums throughout the NFL in Week 13 action last weekend:
- Johnny Manziel: Johnny Football may not have had the best numbers, but he did receive his long awaited playing time against the Bills this weekend. He promptly drove the Browns down the field and scored on a rushing touchdown. Cleveland lost 26-10, but it appears Manziel may be Cleveland’s starting quarterback from here on out.
- Matthew Stafford: On Thanksgiving, Stafford led the Detroit Lions to a big 34-17 win over the Chicago Bears. He completed 34-of-45 passes for 390 yards and two touchdowns. Most of the time, it certainly helps to have Calvin Johnson lining up on the outside.
- Tre Mason: In easily his best game as a pro, Mason exploded for 117 rushing yards, 47 receiving yards and three total touchdowns in St. Louis’ blowout of the Oakland Raiders. His biggest play came on an 89-yard rushing touchdown in the second quarter.
- Julio Jones: The former Alabama receiver continues to make DBs look silly. Add another 100-yard game to his resume as Jones racked up 10 receptions for 189 yards and one touchdown.
- Donte Moncrief: The rookie enjoyed a breakout day with a couple of big plays. Moncrief only caught three passes, but still racked up 134 receiving yards and two touchdowns, including a 79-yard touchdown.
- Alshon Jeffery: Despite a Thanksgiving Day loss to the Lions, Chicago wide receiver Alshon Jeffery enjoyed a nice turkey day performance. He caught nine passes for 71 yards and two touchdowns.
- Justin Houston: The Kansas City Chiefs struggled to contain Peyton Manning, but Justin Houston still made some outstanding plays. The former Georgia pass rusher racked up eight tackles, including one sack and one forced fumble.