Published December 31, 2012 - 2:25pm
NEW: Discuss this topic in the Google+ community for SEC fans.
Here’s everything you need to know about LSU vs. Clemson in the Chick-fil-A Bowl.
Game Time: 7:30 PM ET
Current Line: LSU by 5
Game Buzz: Tigers vs. Tigers; Death Valley vs. Death Valley. Clemson’s sexy offense against LSU’s physical and fast defense creates a massive bowl and must-watch TV. One of the two teams will win their 11th game of the season and have momentum heading into recruiting season and National Signing Day.
Additional reading on Chick-fil-A Bowl:
- LSU-Clemson preview
- LSU-Clemson breakdown
- Will Clemson’s offense click against LSU?
- Dabo, Clemson focused for LSU
Players to watch:
- QB Zach Mettenberger
- RB Jeremy Hill
- WR/KR Odell Beckham
- DE Sam Montgomery
- DE Barkevious Mingo
- LB Kevin Minter
Keys for LSU:
- Exploit Clemson’s weakness in the trenches, especially their weakness on the offensive line
- Get Jeremy Hill going from the get-go
- Unleash hell with Montgomery and Mingo at defensive end
Team Buzz: 10-win LSU isn’t going to a BCS bowl, but don’t expect these Tigers to not show up against Clemson. LSU feels shunned with a ‘lesser bowl’, but it creates a top-five bowl matchup against high-flying Clemson. It’s a sexy game, with one of the best defenses and offenses going to war. LSU will look to exploit Clemson’s weakness at offensive line with their two big pass rushing defensive ends. Jeremy Hill must get going early in the running game to effectively mix in play-action with Mettenberger. Mett has looked very suspect at times throwing downfield, and he’ll have to make explosive plays in the passing game. Clemson’s finesse style of play against a physical top-five defense creates a much-watch bowl game.
Players to watch:
- QB Tajh Boyd
- RB Andre Ellington
- WR DeAndre Hopkins
- WR Sammy Watkins
- DE Vic Beasley
- LB Jonathan Willard
Keys for Clemson:
- Must negate the pressure dialed up from the defensive ends with short quick passes, screens and draws
- Tajh Boyd has to be ‘the guy’ he was running and passing against weaker teams and can’t turn into the Boyd who suited up against FSU or South Carolina
- Get Andre Ellington the ball to start the game and keep pounding the rock
Team Buzz: 10-win Clemson lost to the only two ranked teams they faced all season. The offense is explosive with playmakers like Boyd, Ellington, Hopkins and Watkins, but the offensive line has been suspect against better defensive lines all season. The Tigers’ defense is not that good, either, allowing nearly 25 points per game and over 411 yards of offense to their opponents. Dabo Swinney doesn’t strike me as the long-term winner at Clemson, and this program still remains as a sleeping giant that can’t win the big game. The Tigers have to keep their foot on the gas pedal and hope to wear down the LSU defense.
Photo Credit: Crystal LoGiudice-US PRESSWIRE