Prosecutors drop charges against ex-Alabama student who called in bomb threat to LSU
A former Alabama student has apologized for calling in a bomb threat to a packed Tiger Stadium during the 2019 LSU-Florida football game, and described his behavior as, “unbelievably stupid.”
East Baton Rouge prosecutors on Friday told a judge that they dismissed a felony count of communicating false information of a planned bombing on school property against Connor Croll. Croll wrote in a letter addressed to the citizens of East Baton Rouge Parish and “anyone affected by my actions on October 12th, 2019.” The charge carried up to 20 years in prison, The Advocate and Tribune Media Services reported.
The charge was dismissed after Croll, 21, of Virginia, successfully completed the terms of a pretrial intervention program. He had previously pleaded not guilty. He performed more than 250 hours of community service, including 116 hours with Habitat for Humanity, his lawyer, James Rothkamm, said Monday.
Croll was a freshman at Alabama at the time of the incident, and he spent time in the Tuscaloosa County jail after he called in the threat during the primetime game against the Gators.
“At the time I thought I had no choice, I was so caught up in finishing being a pledge that I let that cloud my judgement,” he wrote. “I was with a bunch of the actives in my fraternity and I should have walked away. I obviously feel like a fool now.”