Auburn RB in transfer portal confirms plans to leave program
Earlier this month, it was reported that Auburn running back Mark-Antony Richards had entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal. The class of 2019 signee confirmed the news Tuesday.
Players are not bound to leave school upon entering the portal as some withdraw and rejoin the team. Richards, however, told Keith Niebuhr of Auburn Undercover that he will be leaving The Plains.
“It’s best for me to get a fresh start,” Richards told Niebuhr.
Out of Wellington High School in South Florida, Richards was rated 4-stars, the No. 4 ATH, No. 12 Sunshine State produce and No. 90 prospect overall nationally in the class of 2019 on the 247Sports Composite. He waited until National Signing Day in February to sign instead of the December Early Signing Period.
Richards chose Auburn over fellow finalists Florida and Miami. His brother Ahmmon Richards played for the Hurricanes. Mark-Antony also visited Georgia and Penn State before making his final decision. LSU, Tennessee and Texas A&M were also among his 19 scholarship offers.
At Auburn, injuries kept Richards out of action in 2019. This past season, he recorded 20 carries for 76 yards.
Niebuhr reports that Richards has not spoken with new Tigers head coach Bryan Harsin. The redshirt freshman shared a farewell message to AU.
“One thing I want you to say, I love that place honestly,” Richards told Niebuhr. “I really did. It’s just something I feel was best for me.”