Bryan Harsin completes his first Auburn coaching staff, hires special teams coordinator/outside linebackers coach
Bryan Harsin has officially finalized his first Auburn coaching staff as the program named former Memphis linebackers coach Bert Watts the new special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach on The Plains.
In addition to his experience at Memphis, Watts has coached at Fresno State, including two seasons as defensive coordinator. During the 2018 season, Fresno State finished with a 12-2 record won the Mountain West Conference. The Bulldogs ranked third nationally in scoring that season, allowing just 14.1 points per game.
“My family and I are excited to join the Auburn family and we’re grateful to Coach Harsin and his staff to be a part of the legacy of Auburn football,” Watts said in a released statement. “I’m thankful and appreciative to get to work with players that will trust us on a journey to success and I can’t wait to get started.”
“Bert is a great addition to round out our on-field coaching staff, overseeing our special teams unit and working with our outside linebackers and edge rushers,” Harsin added. “I coached against him during his time at Fresno State and I always had a tremendous amount of respect for his coaching style and abilities. Bert’s players have always been very well prepared, disciplined and executed at a high level.”
Auburn’s 2021 coaching staff
- Mike Bobo – Offensive coordinator
- Derek Mason – Defensive coordinator
- Will Friend – Offensive line
- Cornelius Williams – Receivers
- Cadillac Williams – Running backs
- Tracy Rocker – Defensive line
- Jeff Schmedding – inside linebackers, defensive run game coordinator
- Brad Bedell – Tight ends
- Zac Etheridge – Defensive backs
- Bert Watts – special teams coordinator and outside linebackers