First Power 5 school announces pay reduction for coaches, staff in 2020
Unfortunately, there may be more that joins this list before it’s over.
In a move prompted by missing the Big 12 basketball tournament and the NCAA Tournament, Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard announced that the school will implement a 1-year temporary pay reduction for coaches and certain staff members.
Along with pay reduction, Pollard also announced 5 other points of action:
- A one-year, temporary suspension of all bonuses/incentives for all coaches. This decision will save the department $1M.
- Delaying (from January 2021 to January 2022) a previously announced increase in Cyclone Club annual giving levels. The delay will save donors approximately $2.5M for required seating donations.
- A freeze on season / individual game ticket prices for all sports.
- An extension to the deadline for this year’s Cyclone Club donations and football season ticket renewals to May 29, 2020.
- Providing multiple payment options for season tickets and donations. Those required payments can be made monthly, quarterly or semi-annually.
“These actions will help us address the $5 million shortfall that we face with the cancellation of the NCAA and Big 12 Men’s Basketball Tournaments,” Pollard wrote. “We can now turn our attention to solving many other issues in the coming months.
“It was also important to us to provide our loyal ticket holders and donors some relief in regard to ticket prices and donations.”