Dan Mullen shares what Florida worked on during Week 1 bye
Entering Week 2, Florida is back on a more normal schedule with the rest of the SEC.
After being featured in the special Week 0 showcase game, the Gators found themselves with an earlier than usual bye week, Week 1. Dan Mullen’s squad was dangerously close to being upset in Week 0. Other SEC teams weren’t lucky enough to escape in their season-openers. On the weekly SEC media teleconference, Mullen was asked about Week 1 upsets in the SEC and what his team worked on during its early bye week:
- On playing FCS teams: When you schedule, you try and mix it. We are one of a few teams playing 10 P5 teams, I don’t think many are doing that. Will we be rewarded for playing those teams? That’s something to monitor as we considering scheduling moving forward
- On watching Week 1 football: I was able to watch some, tried spending time with family, that’s important to me. I think there is so much going on that we are pretty busy. I was able to watch some football, but my main focus was spending time with family.
- On SEC upsets in Week 1: I didn’t really watch much… but things get crazy sometimes. There are good teams all across the country that put themselves in a position to win.
- On what Florida worked on during Week 1 bye: I think the one thing that our team did, we were able to look at what we did well and what we did poorly. Also, the preparation of how we played… when you go into practice mode, the scout teamers that were getting reps, now in a new role — did we get the right looks? Was it the intensity we needed? All of those things are things we are able to look at and translate into teaching. I’ve been on our guys about that. Not just attitude but the intensity of each practice. Hopefully, we manage to get those things cleaned up.
- On QB Feleipe Franks: In Game 1, you change the outcome of one throw, people may be saying something completely different, so I don’t judge him on one throw.