A checklist for Kirby Smart: what the new Georgia coach must do now
Kirby Smart’s designation as Georgia’s head coach-in-waiting ends following Monday night’s national championship game in Arizona, and the current Alabama defensive coordinator will have plenty of things to do upon arriving in Athens, which he plans to do as soon as possible.
Here’s a quick checklist of things that figure to rank high on Smart’s immediate to-do list as his tenure as new Bulldogs coach officially gets under way.
1. Get to Athens for good: Regardless of how Monday’s national championship game turns out, Smart is slated to arrive in Athens sometime on Tuesday to assume his new responsibilities at Georgia on a full-time basis.
2. Hire a defensive coordinator: Smart has been tireless in filling out his staff while still working for the Crimson Tide, but quickly naming a defensive coordinator will be imperative for impressionable potential young recruits who want to know what kind of system the Dawgs will be employing before making a college decision. There have been reports that Alabama assistant head coach/defensive backs Mel Tucker has been offered the job, but nothing has been confirmed as of yet. Quickly finalizing that hire will be of utmost importance to Smart.
3. Continue to add to recruiting class and assure all current commitments: The commitment on Saturday from tight end Isaac Nauta, the five-star prospect who ranks as the nation’s top tight end, was a huge get for Smart and his staff. Once settled in place once and for all, there’s no reason to think the Dawgs can’t add to their growing haul.
4. Get to know his new team and come together as a staff: His commitment at Alabama means that Smart won’t have much time to get to know his team and come together with his own staff before spring practice begins. Quickly figuring out the cards he’s been dealt will be critical, especially with his stable of quarterbacks.
5. Prepare for spring practice: The start of spring practice is roughly two months away, meaning Smart and his staff have a lot to do in advance such as organizing offseason workouts and breaking down film of returning players. The countdown to the fall season is just around the corner.